Talk

Advanced search

blocked tear duct? try these

(4 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 17-Nov-15 09:38:19

My LO had blocked tear ducts in both eyes. We received a gel from the doctors and used this for a long time but this never worked. We also bathed them in lightly salted boiled water using cotton wool and also bathed in breast milk. Neither worked.

One eye eventually cleared up on its own a little after she turned 8 months. The other seemed to get worse!

We came across saline wipes from Boots costing between 3-4 pounds. We only bought them to help clear her eye when we were out but I ended up using them at home too as they just cleaned the eye so much easier!

and now the second (now she is 9m) has at last cleared up! It took less than one box, using 1-2 wipes a day and it disappeared (touch wood!).

Just thought I'd share with other mothers as it might work for you too!

ChunkyPickle Tue 17-Nov-15 09:46:54

We just waited.. first one cleared at about 8 months, the second just before he was 1. We just wiped with tissues/flannel though.

A nurse I knew said that it was fairly common, and that we just had to wait for his nasal bridge to grow enough to pop them open, which would likely happen at some point before he was 1 (and it did)

MrsMogginsMinge Tue 17-Nov-15 09:59:56

If you're not doing this already, gently massaging the tearduct area a few times a day was the key for us. Months of 'bathing' did nothing. A week or so of massaging (after reading about it online) cleared it up. He was about 4 months at the time so it might have been coincidence but it seemed to do the job! Just do firm but gentle circles with a clean finger tip in the corner of the eye, then down the side of the nose. It might have been that you were a bit firmer with the wipes than with cotton wool, and that helped to clear it?

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 17-Nov-15 10:36:39

Ah see we did a lot of massaging for the first few months but it didn't work for us, we followed the routine from something we found online. We ended up giving up the regular massaging but perhaps we should have stuck at it.

We were actual firmer with the cotton wool purely because it was more difficult to clean it.

I guess there are a lot of methods and perhaps ours was coincidence but we do feel the wipes helped tremendously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now