Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I have the neediest baby in the world?

(6 Posts)
Lozza1990 Mon 16-Nov-15 10:40:27

DS is nearly 6 months. Apparently has 'colic' which essentially means nothing and has to be rocked/walked around with since his second day of life. I've read about babies who sit in their prams in the garden for most of the day while mum gets on with life, I've also read how normal it is for a baby to want cuddles all day. I would love to sit and cuddle him all day but he won't have it. He has to be in a moving car, pram or in my arms while walking/rocking or he is not happy for longer than 2 minutes. It was alright before he started teething because I would just have him in the carrier all day but now nothing makes him happy. I just feel so drained and I can't wait for him to walk and talk which makes me sad because I want to enjoy this time with him sad

Anyone else out there?

MadFestiveGnome Mon 16-Nov-15 10:45:58

I don't think babies who sit in their prams all day are a normal occurrence...

DS is six months and teething too. He is spending lots of the day in the carrier, otherwise he grizzles because his gums are sore. Being close to me seems to soothe him a bit. We have teething rings in the freezer and cold cloths kept in the fridge for him which helps sometimes. When he's really sore and cries we give him a dose of baby paracetamol which usually helps a lot.

Hang in there, I bet you're doing a great job.

PacificDogwod Mon 16-Nov-15 10:46:15

Oh, Lozza, that sounds so hard! brew[cakeflowers

My DS1 was like that. He is now 12yo and I still shudder at the memory of his first year.
He needed constant movement to not cry - as soon as the motion stopped (me walking/pram wheels/car wheels) he'd wake/rouse and scream.

It did improve slowly the more he could do for himself, so sitting was good, crawling better, walking v good.
With hindsight I think he was frustrated by his lack of physical ability and also quite a sensitive, easily spooked child.

My advice? Do what you need to do to survive. Yes, we should all love to enjoy the first few months with our child, but sometimes it's just not enjoyable, so don't put pressure on yourself to compulsory enjoy it when it's so hard.

I went on to have 3 more btw grin - DS2 was v laid-back, DS3 and 4 halfway in-between, but by then I was more chilled about just not liking looking after young babies wink.

I love my walking, talking DCs now - DS4 is 5yo and v funny.

FireflyGirl Mon 16-Nov-15 16:27:15

Some babies just don't like being babies.

If my mouth was hurting, and I didn't understand why, and I couldn't do anything about it, I'd probably be quite grumpy as well.

I feel for you. It's hard. But the older he gets, the easier it will be as he'll start communicating with you.

If you've been to the GP and they've not found any allergies or intolerances, I think it is just going to be a case of waiting for him to be able to do more so he's happier flowers

hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 16-Nov-15 16:35:22

OP! I'm out there. I could have written your post. Our baby never stops moaning or crying all day long unless he's asleep. And he's our 2nd. Our 1st was the type you describe - sat in q chair or jumperoo all day big smile on his face. Never made a peep. This one is .... Pushing me to the edge of sanity. His dad said to me if we had had him first we would have stopped at just the one child. It's so hard because I'm so exhausted - the only time he stops screaming is if I'm holding him in front of my face. I sense he's going to be very very needy.

hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 16-Nov-15 16:36:05

I want to assure you we love him but we are all struggling to cope with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now