Talk

Advanced search

inconsolable crying

(27 Posts)
Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 08:09:22

Only 1.5 weeks old and DD is crying inconsolably and looks like she is in pain. Research is saying loads - colic, purple crying, reflux etc but I just need to know if it's normal. Thought it was constipation as she was struggling to go to the toilet and looked in pain - however she is putting on weight and soiling nappies so guessing it's not this. Also bringing up milk and then getting distressed. Can anyone advise? Just need to know what's causing it and is there anything I can do? Her crying is so intense and it sounds like she's in agony!

MrsBojingles Sun 15-Nov-15 08:46:17

Is she bringing up milk a lot? If so it could be reflux and a possible cows milk intolerance/allergy. Is she breast or bottle fed?

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 10:43:35

Not really, it seems to be a new thing, maybe once a day for past few days. She's breastfed

HandbagHelper Sun 15-Nov-15 11:52:38

I clicked on your thread to see if you had words of advice for my grumpy 3 year old...never mind about that!
My DC had a reaction to what I ate when I was breastfeeding. It took a lot of trial and error until I discovered chocolate made them squirm and cry in pain. I had hoped it was broccoli not chocolate I absolutely craved it which was unusual for me.
I always err in the side of caution and think it is worth getting checked out and looking as well if you can see any common links (time of day/before or after being fed/amount being fed etc -one of my DCs used to throw up as I was topping up with formula and perhaps over feeding).

Not sure if any of that is helpful.

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 12:38:33

Thanks handbag, yes great idea! Think I'm going to start keeping a diary of episodes and what I eat

MrsBojingles Sun 15-Nov-15 15:33:02

DD had terrible silent reflux/ colic, it was terrible, she would scream for hours. You have my sympathy flowers

It's worth getting her checked over to rule out anything else, eg uti etc. DDgit put on gaviscon which helped, but as she was breastfed was a nightmare to get into her. They can prescribe ranitidine so it's worth going back to Drs until you find something that works if it is reflux (DD would arch her back in pain with it)

If it is reflux or colic there are several things worth trying - feed her on a bit of a slant so her head is higher than her tummy, prop her crib up a little on a book or with a towel, try wearing her in a newborn sling, keep a track of what you eat - milk, eggs, spices, garlic are common triggers.

Have you tried infacol or grip water at all?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 15-Nov-15 15:42:31

Acid burn ... do you lie her flat prior to screaming? When better lie her down again for another fit? Keep her more upright.

randomsabreuse Sun 15-Nov-15 15:47:29

Food issue? Mine (now 3m) really can't cope with egg in any form, chillies and rest of pepper family not great, broccoli and spinach also not good and have severe doubts re dark chocolate but ok with white and small amounts of milk chocolate so haven't experimented...

Good for losing the baby weight!

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 18:21:50

Thanks Sally, yeah keep her upright. A few ppl said it could be a food issue, going to try cutting out dairy

GenevaMaybe Sun 15-Nov-15 18:23:41

How much sleep is she getting?

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 18:29:45

Not enough! She is sleeping but nowhere near what she was getting, I reckon 1-2 hours across the day, probably a total of 8-10 hours in a 24 hour period

Nottalotta Sun 15-Nov-15 19:21:04

DS suffered with mild reflux (grumbling rather than crying) gaviscon helped a bit but made him constipated which was worse. He rapped much better through the day in a sling/carrier, or over my shoulder. Id take her to the docs i think.

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 20:18:39

Took her to the doctor, utter joke! Midwife said to speak to other midwife, other midwife said to speak to health visitor, when I told her I had no health visitor she said call on duty doctor, on duty doctor reception took message, a doctor finally got back to me but couldn't help me, told me to go to nearest town doctor. Went there and doctor said she looks fine (she was asleep) and if she has another episode feel free to call back but I would ring your gp tomorrow!sad

Kim82 Sun 15-Nov-15 20:31:09

Ask for a referral to a paediatrician. We had 2-3 months of gp's telling us there was nothing wrong with my dd. she had horrendous acid reflux and cows milk protein allergy. It was only when we took her to A&E as she had screamed for over 12 hours (apart from the 2 minutes in the doctors surgery - typical) without feeding or sleeping hat we were finally taken seriously.

If you don't get any answers or help from the gp and you're not happy then definitely ask for a referral. The amount of people I have spoken to with the same problem whose gp didn't take them seriously is unbelievable! I was just told "babies cry" and that she was just grumpy so many times.

Ladypug Sun 15-Nov-15 20:47:48

Wow thanks Kim! I will. I've been fobbed off so many times its unreal!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 15-Nov-15 22:22:48

Does she sleep better in the car seat/pram?

Ladypug Mon 16-Nov-15 00:06:14

In the car she does but not the pram (or the car seat in the pram) but she sleeps in the car

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 16-Nov-15 07:29:12

I watched an american tv show about stomach musels being under developed in lots of babies, so if they lie flat the acid burns (rights itself at 6 months .. when they sit up- ) you then get a very tired baby which adds to the issue. So keep her head above her belly. Towel under mattress cushion for nappy change,.
Despite letting everyone know i could tell those who lay my baby flat ... hours of screaming!! Its hard as a mom to listen to!!

scarednoob Mon 16-Nov-15 07:42:23

I don't have any words of wisdom as dd is only 8 weeks old, but just wanted to say you're doing a great job and hang in there. Sometimes it's hard to remember you're doing your best and that you are your baby's whole world when you feel like you can't soothe them and you're so sleep deprived that it's like torture!

scarednoob Mon 16-Nov-15 07:44:12

Oh actually one thing that does hell when mine won't stop screaming and pulling up her legs etc is to let her sleep on her tummy for a little bit; I think the pressure feels nice for her. But only on my chest, whilst I am awake and watching her like a hawk! It's v sweet now she's a bit bigger as she puts her arms out and cuddles up tonmy boob!

scarednoob Mon 16-Nov-15 07:44:59

Good god, phone. Help, not hell. To my, not tonmy...

HandbagHelper Mon 16-Nov-15 12:39:52

Oh you poor thing being fobbed off at the doctors -that is not good.

Maybe keep a list of things you are trying and take a video with your phone when she is at her worst so that you can go in to speak to someone armed with information. Just a thought.

Hang in there. I am sure you are doing your very best and things will be ok.

Ladypug Mon 16-Nov-15 12:41:51

Thanks everyone, some great tips here. I'm now on the infacol, off dairy, have taken a video and keeping a diet diary. I'm also ready to ask to see a paediatrician!

HandbagHelper Mon 16-Nov-15 12:44:16

Great work -good list there -hoping some calm will come your way ASAP.

Kim82 Mon 16-Nov-15 12:49:10

Good luck, I hope your little one improves soon. I do want to say though as a pp said if it's reflux then it'll get better at 6 months. This is true for a lot of babies but not all so don't pin all hopes on the 6 month mark. I hate to think of your little one being left to struggle and people saying "it'll only last another few months" just for it to continue. I know most babies do get better once they're sitting and improve even more once they're mobile (as I hope your baby will if it is reflux) but my dd is 16 months now and still on an adult dose of reflux meds as whenever we try to reduce it her symptoms come back. Admittedly she is a severe case (she was admitted to hospital at 8 months with it) and I'm not saying your baby will be the same but please don't let them fob you off if your gut is telling you something isn't right. There really is no reason for them to leave your baby in pain on the pretext that "they'll grow out of it".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now