Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby proofing home

(10 Posts)
prettyknackered Sat 14-Nov-15 12:05:43

I live in a 3 bed semi. Dd is nearly three months and I want to start saving to buy things to baby proof the house, like stair gates and safety corner things. What do I need to buy, what do you think is essential, any regret buys?

KatyN Sat 14-Nov-15 13:03:29

Plug covers wer a waste and a fridge lock. We didn't buy any corner covers.

Door locks though, used them all over. Cupboards with scissors and th under the sink cupboard. Left him to roam other cupboards though. And stair gates.. We got ones that don't cause a trip hazard, so they completely fold back to the wall. Only used the, on the stairs though, tied closing off th kitchen and all hell broken loose!

specialsubject Sat 14-Nov-15 15:58:26

plug covers in the UK are actively dangerous, do not buy.

all the rest can come from ebay when it is outgrown by others. Door locks/bolts come from Screwfix or similar, don't pay extra for pink bunnies on things.

specialsubject Sat 14-Nov-15 16:09:31

why socket covers are dangerous:

www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/index.html

Buttercup27 Sat 14-Nov-15 16:14:16

We couldn't live without our fridge lock and 2 of our cupboards also have locks the rest the dc have access to put there is nothing dangerous in those. We have moved the sharp knives and left the cutlery drawer without locks so dc can lay table etc. (Dc are 3 & 2) .
I really like the baby Dan locks from amazon, good value and very strong.

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 14-Nov-15 16:17:38

We have a gate on the kitchen so no cupboard door locks etc. Obvs different if your kitchen is open/also a dining room.

Honestly thats all we have. No stairs, but if we did thered be a gate on the top.

We hung our tv on the wall, but most people do nowadays anyways so dont count that.

Non kid friendly stuff up high, kid friendly stuff down low.

We knotted up our blind cords so even I cant reach them grin

specialsubject Sat 14-Nov-15 17:59:34

oh yes - blind cords, VERY good point in any room where a child can be left unattended.

either knots or fold and use a clothes peg to clip out of reach.

purpleme12 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:15:09

The only thing we got was 2 stair gates at top and bottom of stairs!

Artandco Sat 14-Nov-15 19:16:38

We didn't buy anything.

Just moved bleach/ washing stuff/ chemicals into a higher cupboard and knifes out of reach.

PiccalilliSandwiches Sat 14-Nov-15 21:20:09

IME, the amount of baby proofing you need is very child dependent. A minimum I think is a stair gate for the top and cupboard locks for the cleaning products and medicines.

Sure start centres used to sell baby proofing stuff ridiculously cheaply, was a few years ago but worth a check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now