Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 y.o. doesn't like wearing trousers - common?

(14 Posts)
AngelDog Mon 09-Nov-15 08:25:45

My 5 y.o. doesn't like wearing trousers (any type) so at home he just wears pants. He wears trousers when we go out.

DH thinks we should make him wear trousers indoors since if people call at the house, it might indicate a red flag for concern over our parenting.

I think it's probably relatively common, so I'm happy to let him go trouser-free. We home educate so he's at home more than the average child his age.

Any thoughts on whether this would be seen as fairly 'normal' at that age?

I'm not too worried about it from a behavioural point of view. He used to have a diagnosis of sensory processing problems, which we've mostly fixed by addressing diet / nutrition, and his diagnosis has been removed, but the dislike of trousers is due to some mild residual sensory issues.

Mundelfall Mon 09-Nov-15 11:44:19

If it doesn't bother you I'd just let him get on with it although I find the behaviour odd and would struggle to go with it if it was my dc. I appreciate he's had sensory issues. How warm is your house? Maybe turn down the heating or turn it off to make him realise trousers are pretty useful?

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Mon 09-Nov-15 11:49:43

I don't think this "behaviour"
Is concerning in the slightest. He's only 5! I disagree that wearing just pants in your own house could possibly be a "red flag" - if your son is more comfortable in just pants then I see no issue. My 7yr old spends a lot of time naked. He doesn't like clothes grin it's his house, his safe space, he should be comfortable. When I have bible group here I do insist he wears a pair of boxer shorts to bed - he is usually naked - in case he needs to come down and talk to me for anything.

My son wears boxers rather than briefs (has done since he was potty trained) so they are just like little shorts.

I honestly can't see anything wrong with your son wanting to be comfy in his own home. And certainly no reflection on parenting whatsoever...

Artandco Mon 09-Nov-15 11:55:01

I think it's fine

Would he like to wear tights over them However when it gets colder?

Many trousers can be uncomfortable. I recommend looking on 'mama owl'. It sells mainly natural fibre clothing like soft wool and silk combos. They do some really nice soft thick legging/ jogger type trousers which he might prefer out and maybe inside.

My 5 year is naked as much as possible inside!

lynniep Mon 09-Nov-15 11:56:59

Is he sensitive to the fabric on his legs? Or does he just not 'like' trousers - or does he find them uncomfortable in general? Is it the length - would he wear jersey shorts? My 5yo has only ever worn trousers once - his first day of school. He refused after that, so he wears shorts all year round now. At home he removes socks immediately (which I find discarded all over the house) and trousers if he wants to. When not at school he wears polarn y pyret leggings or joggers from tesco which are comfy.

Artandco Mon 09-Nov-15 11:57:58

Here

mamaowl.net/collections/kids-bottoms

Mine have some from the joha and fun ranges and both are soft and well made.

BertieBotts Mon 09-Nov-15 12:06:01

What about shorts? Would that be an okay compromise? Or a skirt? (lights touchpaper)

I don't think a 5yo would elicit concern over a tendency towards nakedness, but he is starting to get towards the age where it would be inappropriate. I wouldn't want to visit someone and have a six or seven year old wandering about just in pants - I have a 7yo DS and we do ask him to at least wear pyjamas at home. Their pants can be a bit gross at that age as they don't always wipe or shake thoroughly when they go to the toilet, and I find just wearing pants tends to lead to more public fiddling, or bum-picking, which is pretty unhygienic not to mention being unpleasant to see!

But no I would not consider parenting to be at fault.

GreenSand Mon 09-Nov-15 13:15:54

Looks up. Mine are actually dressed at the moment, but various stages of undress are common.
I wouldn't be bothered about it. If your worried, might he wear some really soft shorts? Mine will happily slob about in something like these, if you can find stock in November or equally, half a pair of pyjamas

JimmyGreavesMoustache Mon 09-Nov-15 13:22:59

i think it's fine, and really don't get why your DH thinks this would cause people to worry.

what is it about trousers that he doesn't like?

dd2 is 5, and doesn't like waistbands. Basically as a toddler she was too fat for skirts/trousers and so I dressed her in leggings and tunics or dresses. Problem is a waistband now feels very alien to her, and so she's very fussy about skirts and trousers.

we did find some school skirts in a very soft jersey jogger type material, and she'll tolerate those. would he wear very soft trousers, or loose jersey shorts? Or a onesie? I know plenty of grown-ups who prefer to hang loose, and swap work clothes (and especially bras) for soft joggers or pyjamas the minute they get home.

student99 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:38:19

my 8 yr old still doesnt like wearing trousers and we had an issue for a long time with him even wearing pants!

he likes wearing onsies, boden baggie shorts...those stripey ones and will tolerate boden baggy cords...no buttons/zips

it makes school wear very difficult and he practically starts undressing walking up the path to our house

doesnt he get cold little legs?!

PatriciaHolm Mon 09-Nov-15 16:27:37

DS doesn't own a pair of trousers other than ski trousers. He wears shorts all year round and has done for years (he's 9.5). Is it trousers specifically or the feeling of something round his tummy?

AngelDog Tue 10-Nov-15 09:39:26

Thanks very much, everyone. I think DH is being unnecessarily paranoid, but there's some back history which I won't go into which is why he worries.

DS1 does wear boxer type pants so they do look a bit like shorts. If we have people round to visit (other than grandparents) we make him put on trousers.

He doesn't like the feeling of anything around his genitals. He says pants & especially trousers make his penis 'stick' and they make his bottom stick together. Looser fitting trousers are better. I reckon he'd do better in a skirt! smile I think you have a good point about the fiddling, Bertie. When DH is supervising, he says that if DS1 fiddles with himself, he has to put on trousers. I don't always because he spends way more time clutching at himself when he does wear trousers.

BertieBotts Tue 10-Nov-15 11:51:05

Aha, fair enough. DS is the opposite. When it's accessible, he's there grin

Luckygirlcharlie Tue 10-Nov-15 14:29:40

My God this is my DH!! The moment he gets into the house his trousers fly off! Never seen him fiddle though ;) DS seems ok with them but we only ever dress him in soft trousers. Plenty of time for jeans and school trousers later. White company do gorgeous soft jogging bottoms. They're not cheap - about 20 quid but we get them in navy so stains don't show and get them a bit big and they last for aaaages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now