Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Allergies in BF or FF babies. Are they any different?

(3 Posts)
GinParty Fri 06-Nov-15 19:51:17

After having read this article, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of whether allergies are helped by BF their DC instead of FF or not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/11977085/Is-this-proof-the-witches-of-breast-milk-are-wrong-after-all.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 06-Nov-15 21:47:08

The language in that article is awful - all the hideous phrases and names that are usually slung around about breastfeeding are in there. The author sounds like she's really got some anger going on about something.

All you'll get in response to your question is a series of anecdotes, none of which will answer your question. The reasons why each individual woman chooses to breastfeed or give formula, or a mix of the two, are complex and one single issue (such as allergy reduction) doesn't swing it one way or the other.

If you can breastfeed without problems (or having had support to resolve any problems), then breastmilk is the optimum food for your baby. Formula is a safe and adequate substitute if you choose not to breastfeed or need to swap to formula. That's all there is to it really.

MJP1 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:32:13

I breastfed my Daughter for 6 months and from birth it was apparent that something wasn't right, she had terrible skin, colic crying, wheezing, arching in pain, I quickly realised she was worse after I drank a lot of milk or ate cheese etc after trying to cut out as much dairy I could and struggling with every feed, I tried her with formula, she had an anaphylactic reaction and a cows milk protein allergy was confirmed, she's also allergic to soya and eggs, we were prescribed epi pens at 1 year and a hydrogenised formula which she thrived on. I gave up breast feeding at 6 months and bonded with my baby who settled down and became the happy healthy little girl she is today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now