Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

14 year old moved in with Dad

(6 Posts)
footprint10 Fri 06-Nov-15 16:43:11

Hi, hoping you can help me with something, I left my ex 3 years ago because of her alcoholism, despite repeated attempts to help her it got too much and I left. She moved a new man in shortly afterwards and not long after that my 19 year old daughter left too. She now lives happily with her boyfriend.
My 14 year old daughter turned up on my doorstep on Friday with nothing but the clothes she was wearing. Got her new clothes, a school uniform and everything else needed to try and get things as normal as possible for her. The plan is for her to live with me.

My concern is does her mother have any legal right to demand her back?
We never married if it makes any difference, I am quite capable both financially and emotionally of providing what I hope will be a happy home for my daughter. My ex does have a preference for trying to batter me with solicitors, which has never worked, but it doesn't seem to stop her trying to attack me in this way.

Has she any grounds to start any kind of legal action to force her daughter to move back in?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Motherinferior78 Sun 08-Nov-15 03:08:13

www.rbkc.gov.uk/pdf/FPI%20is%20it%20legal%20Feb_08.pdf

Motherinferior78 Sun 08-Nov-15 03:14:13

www.gingerbread.org.uk/Factsheet_Download.aspx?ID=19&MID=9444&Path=/uploads/media/17/9444.pdf

SofiaAmes Sun 08-Nov-15 03:19:56

If your ex was an alcoholic with issues so bad that you and your 19 year old daughter moved out, why did you leave your 11 year old daughter to live with her? I would guess that that's the first question that a court would ask.

Atenco Sun 08-Nov-15 04:30:16

You also want to think about why your dd has turned up at your house?

Will she turn around and go back to her mother when you and she have a disagreement?

C6ute Sun 08-Nov-15 07:27:31

No they won't make her go back. They will listen to what your daughter wants/needs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now