Talk

Advanced search

long haul flight - what have I forgotten?

(13 Posts)
Flingingmelon Wed 04-Nov-15 09:13:37

Mega long flight with 2yo. This is a what I've got to keep him happy. Am I missing anything good?

- 90mins of Peppa pig on tablet
- Peppa pig drawing app
- spelling / game app
- headphones
- battery pack
- playdoh
- favourite plastic animals
- new matchbox toys to be revealed mid flight.
- snap cards
- special k in a ziplock - he thinks they are crisps.
- crayons and paper
- favourite stuffed monkey

Bunbaker Wed 04-Nov-15 09:25:33

Good luck. Just make sure your toddler doesn't kick the seat in front. Having been on the receiving end of a toddler kicking my seat back on a flight I can honestly say that it is the rage inducing thing I have ever endured on a flight - and it was only a short haul flight.

I did ask the mum politely to ask her child to stop kicking and she just said "oh he can't help it" and made no attempt to stop him, which made me feel even more cross.

askabusywoman Wed 04-Nov-15 09:30:16

I would increase the snacks and juice/water bottle, including some 'break glass in case of emergency' treats. There are definitely no prizes for healthy eating on long haul flights. Wipes for sticky hands and some nappy bags for mess (you won't be able to easily leave your seat). Change of clothes. I also pack post it notes, crayons, and everything in its own ziplock bag (eg all dinosaurs together, all crayons, all mini cars....).

Skippedthelightfandango Wed 04-Nov-15 09:33:24

I would pack something he could snuggle under/cuddle/use as a pillow, so a shawl or a fleecy blanket. Well you can live in hope! But snacks plus familiar film plus cosy space and comfy blanket MAY be sleep inducing?

atticusclaw2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:33:35

playdoh may well get taken away (My DSis had hers taken away). It has the potential to make a massive mess on a plane.

PatriciaHolm Wed 04-Nov-15 09:36:49

Changes of clothes all round! DD was spectacularly sick an hour into a flight from Sydney to HK at 2, and I had clothes for her but not me. So I finished the journey home in virgin Atlantic pyjamas..

And more food/snacks - inflight food may work it may not!

PestoSkiissimos Wed 04-Nov-15 09:36:59

Sticker books, simple puzzle books like dot-to-dot/magic painting? Those tiny boxes of Playmobile are good too.

JassyRadlett Wed 04-Nov-15 09:59:23

Sticker books and post it notes. Post it notes sound crazy but are brilliant on flights - easy to tidy up, can draw on them, can totally decorate the seat space. DS loved them from 18 months onwards.

I'd put more on the tablet too if you can - you can download lots of CBeebies stuff.

Bunbaker Wed 04-Nov-15 10:00:23

I agree that playdoh is a bad idea.

Rosa Wed 04-Nov-15 10:05:40

scrub the playdoh. Get those waterpens / colouring mats . Change of clothes for both of you. Slipper socks , wet wipes, and load more than 90 mins of stuff on the tablet

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Nov-15 10:07:11

I'd put more on the tablet (remember that if there is turbulence you can be strapped into your seat for hours) so you have a backup.

More little snacks - you can make toddler pick and mix by an assortment of cereals mixed with different dried fruits which gives more variety and slows down eating. Mini breadsticks. Mini cheddars. A sports top water bottle

Pack sets of things into drawstring bags so you can easily haul one out of your hand luggage and hook it onto the seat, then pack it back up.

Good luck!

Flingingmelon Wed 04-Nov-15 11:10:38

Thanks all!

I have my drawstring bag all ready. I need to buy a sticker book I think.

I was planning on taking regular snacks too. I'm a bit concerned about too much sugar in an enclosed space so maybe more Pom bears and less Haribo.

Funny what you've all said about playdoh. I only bought it because BA said it was the best toy for toddlers on planes and we are flying BA. I agree it's messy but I figured they'd have thought of that!

JassyRadlett Wed 04-Nov-15 11:26:28

Oh, and buy a bunch of ziploc bags. Good for keeping things separate, also good for quarantining clothes that have sick on them if needed... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now