Getting dry at night? dd 5

(14 Posts)
Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 11:18:20

Dd is almost 5 and a half. She has been completely dry in the day since 2.5.

Nights are another matter. She is still in night pants and every morning they are wet.

Can I have any tips on getting dry through the night. We have mattress cover on etc. I know taking the night pants off her will be causing washing everyday!!

Any tips gratefully received.

Many thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 02-Nov-15 12:22:48

Do you think she is capable of being dry at night? Some children simply don't produce the hormone needed until they are older.

With my DD, I knew it was just laziness, so I put her in cloth nappies at night, much to her disgust, and she was dry after the first night.

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 12:26:44

Thanks JJ

How did you decide it was more a lazy thing? Was she a similar age?

chickensandbees Mon 02-Nov-15 12:30:37

My is 4.5 and exactly the same. Her sister was dry day and night by 3.

I don't think she is producing the hormone as we have tried a few times and she can be dry for a few days but then she will wee in the middle of the night and she hates it and really wants to be dry but she just doesn't wake up.

I can't stand the constant washing so we are back in pull ups till she is consistently dry every morning.

A friend of mine has a DD who wasn't dry till 7 and doctors won't even want to see you till then.

chickensandbees Mon 02-Nov-15 12:32:19

Oh and DD1 it was a lazy thing as well. I think she used to wake in the morning and wee (TMI - but it was still warm) so I tried her without pullups and she was dry straight away.

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 12:35:17

Thank you

Think I might cold turkey then for a couple of nights without night pants and give that a whirl. Might give me more of an indication what is going on.

bonzo77 Mon 02-Nov-15 12:48:33

Ds1 5.5 was just the same. We had a few attempts at night training. One about 9 months ago (total fail), again about 6 weeks ago (partial fail then back to square one). Then out of the blue he's been dry the last week or so. We've done nothing different. Hes been keen to succeed on each occasion we tried, though I've always been totally casual about it: no big announcements whether dry or wet in the morning. He's just dry despite not altering his fluid in take or taking him to the toilet at night. I think he might be taking himself. I guess he just happened to be ready. He wore pull ups till 3 consecutive dry nights, then padded towelling pants for 3 nights, and now he's just in pyjamas. I was very clear that the pull ups / padded pants were to make my life easier!

GardeningWithDynamite Mon 02-Nov-15 12:59:12

We had this problem. DD always had very full nappies in the morning so I thought she wasn't ready. Until I caught her using her pull up while I was still reading her story! She's a very deep sleeper too - so wasn't waking up even when wet.

We got one of those alarms. It was't perfect and we did have a few false alarms (and the alarm woke us but not her) but in a couple of weeks we worked out that there was a pattern. She was wetting at about 9.30pm so we tried lifting her. The first couple of nights she had no memory of being woken the next day. After that she gradually woke up a bit more each time and within a week she decided for herself that she didn't need to go. No accidents since then.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Mon 02-Nov-15 13:31:02

My twins are 4.5 and we took them out of pull ups last week. One has been fine, no accidents, the other one has wet the bed every night so she's going back in pull ups tonight. I just dont think she's ready.

Try going cold turkey for a few nights and see what happens.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 02-Nov-15 13:33:11

Placemarking as we're doing this with DS 4.

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 14:15:31

Some great ideas thanks all.

Starting tonight.

DustingOffTheDynastySuit Mon 02-Nov-15 20:10:24

What's the alarm thing?

GardeningWithDynamite Tue 03-Nov-15 00:19:37

We used one of these.

nightsky010 Tue 03-Nov-15 06:33:05

Bedwetting alarms are the best thing ever invented!! I got a Chummie Premium, which is pretty overpriced for a beeping box, but bloody hell, it worked so well. It can be a bit over sensitive and go off with sweat though.

DC had major issues with being dry and still isn't 100% in daytime but within 2 1/2 months of using the alarm DC was dry at night! I was convinced DC didn't have enough of the hormone, but seems he does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now