Talk

Advanced search

Which highchair?

(23 Posts)
deathb4decaf Thu 29-Oct-15 15:45:53

Will be needing a highchair soon for dd and haven't a clue what to look for! We have a small kitchen/no real dining area so need something compact! Have heard the ikea one is meant to be good. But what is good about it? Any recommendations much appreciated!

beela Thu 29-Oct-15 16:28:18

Yes the IKEA one. It is cheap as chips, you can put it through the dishwasher, the legs come off and it can go in the boot of your car if you need to take it anywhere, etc, etc.

Kent1982 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:22:09

This is more what not to get.. I bought a wood one that converts to a little table and chair and I bloody hate it it's a right hassle to get baby in and out because there is a fixed bar across.

MI6Agent Thu 29-Oct-15 20:37:55

Ikea Antelope I think it's called.

Easily cleaned. Simple design. Removable table bit. Legs come off so you can take it on holiday if need be.

Ditto kent about expensive wooden table / chair type ones. Bloody useless and very uncomfortable.

nearlyteatime101 Thu 29-Oct-15 20:43:00

ikea white one. light, easy to clean, easily transportable, looks comfy, inexpensive . I also think its one of the better looking ones I've seen too, simple and fuss free.

starsinyourpies Thu 29-Oct-15 20:43:08

Yes IKEA Antilop, it's the best! Easy to get child in and out, wipes down easily.

Wotsitsareafterme Thu 29-Oct-15 20:43:54

IKEA antillop it's called. I got one off a Facebook selling page for a few quid for dd2. It runs rings around the 65 quid mothercare wooden one that dd1 slid out of continually. Anything else is a waste of money with high chairs grin

deathb4decaf Thu 29-Oct-15 22:23:00

Thanks all! Just googled, it really is cheap! Is it worth getting the additional cushion bit? My ikea list is growing...

Anticyclone Thu 29-Oct-15 23:16:13

We found the inflatable cushion bit quite useful when DS was small, it helped to wedge him in a bit. He has always been small for his ages though. He looked a bit lost in the high chair without it at 6mo!

nagynolonger Thu 29-Oct-15 23:43:33

If all you want is a basic highchair you may as well go for the IKEA one. We have two for when the GC come. They stack up or come apart for easy storage which is great. The parents have fancy expensive ones at home which are no better really.

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Oct-15 23:45:51

Another vote for IKEA antilop!

winchester1 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:47:52

We had one of those wooden chair and table ones - its a bastard to keep clean.
Now we have the Ikea one, so much easier.

MadGhostlyGnome Fri 30-Oct-15 07:44:33

IKEA one is ideal.

Cushion insert is very good. Makes it a bit more comfy, wipes clean, looks nice. Bit of a bugger to blow up though as is inflatable.

ShadyMyLady Fri 30-Oct-15 07:53:28

Yep IKEA one.

After spending £150 on DC1's all singing all dancing highchair 11 years ago, I got the IKEA one for DC3 last year, and it is far better.

TheWildOnes Fri 30-Oct-15 08:01:19

I bought the Ikea Antilop a couple of weeks ago. It's great, the insert is a good idea to stop any sliding around.

futureme Fri 30-Oct-15 08:04:25

We changed from expensive one to ikea too!so much easier to clean.

Artandco Fri 30-Oct-15 08:09:10

I actually say Stokke trip trap. More expensive but converts to a regular chair that's height adjustable as they grow. I found this part more valuable tbh as as a baby is doesn't matter where they sit, but from a certain age they want to sit with you at the table and the Stokke fit right in without a huge tray in the way. My 4 year old still uses his as without he has to kneel still and fidgets as he cant reach the table properly.

cowbag1 Fri 30-Oct-15 08:10:30

Going to go against the grain here but ds uses the Ikea Antilop at his GPs house and I hate it. He's a tall boy so the back isn't high enough for him but the worst of it is that it only has a 3 point harness so ds (very wriggly and hates being restrained) spends his whole time hanging over the side. Even with the tray attached, he can get his legs up and the wriggle out of the lap strap to stand up. I don't feel he's safe unless I'm sat right next to him at all times. I'm always suprised people rate it so highly on here over ones with a 5 point harness.

We have a bloom fresco that you can use from birth to 4 years and I absolutely love it. Expensive but so worth it.

eckythumpenallthat Fri 30-Oct-15 08:11:35

Deffo the ikea Antlop one. Less than £25. The legs come off so you can store it away if you want to. Solid plastic so no food getting encrusted in bit of material/stitching. The table comes off it so you can push the chair right up to your dining table etc so it feels like ur baby/toddler is part of meal time. And it's so so SO easy to clean. We don't have a dishwasher but there were a few occasions it was chucked in the shower for a good scrub!

BlinkAndMiss Fri 30-Oct-15 08:17:14

We have a Mamas and Papas Siesta which is great, the seat is padded and it reclines, the seat is also height adjustable.

fruitpastille Fri 30-Oct-15 08:18:25

I used the antilop for all 3 children and never used the straps at all! They never tried to get out. It's worth getting and if you don't like it for some reason you have not wasted much money. I got another cheap IKEA chair that was higher up for age 3-4 ish till they were big enough for a normal chair.

mackerella Fri 30-Oct-15 08:43:10

Aargh, I just wrote a long post in praise of the IKEA Antilop chair and then lost it in the bustle of getting into my commuter train!

Anyway, I agree that this chair is fab and much more practical than any others we've tried. Both DCs really liked that they could sit up naturally in it - they always seemed slumped in other chairs, or forced into a reclined position that they hated. They seemed to have more freedom of movement, which is great if you're going to do BLW - as is the HUGE, easily-wipeable tray! We did use the inflatable insert, and it was useful when they were really tiny, but we stopped using it well before a year for both if them as they were getting a bit "wedged in". Once your child can sit up confidently, it's not really necessary, no matter how much room.there is around them in the chair, iyswim.

You might find that you can fit the chair under your table with the tray off (we couldn't, as it was too high to go underneath our (also IKEA!) table). We just left the tray on and pushed the whole thing right up to the table so the DCs still felt included in the family meal. Once they were about 1.5 or 2, we moved to a booster seat on a normal chair, anyway, so it wasn't really a problem.

Cowbag, I know what you mean about the harness - and sort of agree with you, actually, as both DCs went through a phase of hanging perilously over the sides. We got round his by using a separate five-point harness (a set of reins from John Lewis - they don't seem to sell them any more but these ones are similar) that we threaded through the slots in the chair. Our chair is about 5 years old, though, and I believe that IKEA introduced new straps on more recent models (and will replace the straps on old chairs free of charge). Has anyone else done this, actually?

MintSource Fri 30-Oct-15 09:44:04

Another vote for IKEA Antilop. GPs have it. But.... the bottom of the plastic seat rub into the back of his legs a bit so I am glad we only use it occasionally. I guess this could be fixed with a cushion pad?

At home we have a Tripp Trapp and it's great - very easy to clean. When I was researching chairs, I learnt that the padded ones are a nightmare to clean and read a review on MN about a mum using a toothpick to clean food out of the seams!

If you can invest in a TT then look for a deal which includes the baby pack, with harness and tray etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now