Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know of any xmas shoebox appeals??

(8 Posts)
ffffffedup Thu 29-Oct-15 10:58:37

Just that really. I've just watched a video on Facebook of children opening xmas show boxes and the delight and happiness on their faces was incredible it's inspired me to want to donate 1 or 2 shoeboxes myself. I'm not sure who and where to donate these too though?
Thanks

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 29-Oct-15 11:04:18

This is controversial.

Very simply, because they are often stuffed with religious literature before they are handed out. Operation Christmas Child, for example, is one of the biggest - and it's run by an evangelical and missionary Christian charity. So the boxes that are filled by people of all faiths, and delivered to people of all faiths, become hugely religious.

It's largely thought to be very dangerous to mix humanitarianism with political or religious agendas.

There's no mention of the charities aims, which are to "advance Christian faith through educational projects and the relief of proverty" and to act as a "faith relief mission agency" in any of the leaflets delivered to parents/schools/etc.

Do plenty of research before you choose a scheme.

ffffffedup Thu 29-Oct-15 11:08:07

I was thinking more children in our care homes across the country,not that I disagree sending abroad but I think there's children on our own doorstops suffering aswell

woundbobbin Thu 29-Oct-15 11:17:46

Might be worth trying your local children's social services / family centre certainly in my area they do collect and distribute to families who don't have much and looked after children. They might have quite strict rules on what they do and do not want.
To the best of my knowledge "shoe boxes" tend to go abroad - growing up we always sent them to Eastern Europe local charities took them in big lorries there was no religious aspect which I know is controversial here. They always needed help sorting everything out as well if you had time to volunteer.

dannydyerismydad Thu 29-Oct-15 11:18:11

Look up Project Shoebox on Facebook.

They make up shoebox gifts to distribute to women's refuges across the country.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 29-Oct-15 11:20:24

Ahh fair enough. My apologies. Shoeboxes tend to go abroad hence having to fit in a shoebox - it makes the logistics of packing lots together and shipping them for a flat rate easier.

Project Shoebox is a good shout, as is your local social services.

exexpat Thu 29-Oct-15 11:27:13

The Rotary Club sends shoeboxes to Eastern Europe - Rotary Shoebox appeal (non-religious). There is also Link to Hope, which is religious but not in an evangelical way like Operation Christmas Child.

I have heard that some branches of the Trussell Trust, which runs many UK food banks, also accepts gifts to distribute to needy families, but not necessarily in shoebox form.

I can see the appeal of shoe box gifts as an easy way of getting children involved in charity, but there are probably better ways to give - maybe ask local charities what they would appreciate? Stuffing shoeboxes could be seen as being more about making the giver feel good than about the people receiving them.

Gingernut81 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:13:16

What about donating advent calendars to a local food bank? They're the kind of thing that all children love but some won't get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now