Talk

Advanced search

speech delay in 31 month old..what to do

(15 Posts)
jellybean321 Wed 28-Oct-15 21:52:27

Hi my son has a speech and language delay I'm not sure if this is the right place to start a thread for this but I'm looking for advise. He did have glue ear that has cleared and on his last hearing test is now said to have good hearing although in the past his hearing tests have shown some loss. But I'm concerned as he talks and babbles all the time and tries very hard to communicate with us but most of it is very unclear and his pronunciation of words is very poor. I can understand him sometimes in the right context but his family and friends can't. We have been seeing a speech and lang teacher through the NHS but she is only really interested in waiting until he is three to see how he is then . I feel he is no clearer than 6 months ago and want to help him. I've tried googling local speech therapists in our area to pay private for but with little success. Any ideas? Thanks

TheXxed Wed 28-Oct-15 21:56:48

Do you have educational psychologist drop ins in your area? Where you can speak to an end psych in person to speak about any concerns and be signposted to the right services. They have a few under 5 drop ins in London Boroughs.

Also the GP can refer to a paed for a developmental assessment.

jellybean321 Wed 28-Oct-15 22:05:30

Thanks no I don't think we have those drop ins . spoke to go for federal but he said if we go for one before he is three they will just tell us to wait and see how he is over the next few more this until he is three in march.

jellybean321 Wed 28-Oct-15 22:10:44

Sorry I apologise for my typos on my message above

WhetherOrNot Wed 28-Oct-15 22:22:51

31 months...........hang on while I do the maths to find out how old he actually is !

TheXxed Thu 29-Oct-15 07:04:35

My DS was referred at 18 months, so don't let them fob you off.

jellybean321 Thu 29-Oct-15 07:27:53

Just over 2 and half whether or not !

TheXxed Thu 29-Oct-15 09:05:52

I would go back to your GP and not be afraid to be pushy. Can you find the number of your local ed psych and find out the procedure for referals.

jellybean321 Thu 29-Oct-15 14:02:41

I'll ask again. Anyone know if I'm looking for a private therapist what avenue to take? What accreditations do they need ? Thanks

TheXxed Thu 29-Oct-15 14:05:34

ASLTIP, here is there website. Experience has taught me that the best SALT (speech and language therapists) are the ones who also work for the NHS.

www.helpwithtalking.com/Default.aspx

Memom Thu 29-Oct-15 14:36:08

I'm pretty sure you can self refer in most areas, if you google NHS SALT in your area and give them a call.

We were told by GP and health visitor that nobody gets seen before 3 years, SALT said this is utter rubbish and that they assess whether they think it is a case of immaturity or something else.

DD is now 46 months and has been seen by SALT since 19 months.

Good luck.

jellybean321 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:45:55

Thanks I'll google it now

Racheyg Fri 30-Oct-15 10:58:28

Whether your post was quite unhelpful do you just look for people who date by months rather than years?

Hi op,
My ds1 is 2 years 3 months and I went to the gp to get a referral I had to wait 3 1/2 months for his assessment but we were seen on Tuesday. During ur 1st appt they play with him and interact to see how they can help. As my son has only 3 words they have put me on a waiting list for sessions with a therapist.

My understanding is that it can be lengthy so the sooner the better.

Also I know you can self refer in London as this was the path I was going to take if the gp wouldn't refer.

Hope all goes well

jellybean321 Fri 30-Oct-15 22:44:52

Thanks Racheyg for yr post and advice ill keep pushing. I have enquired today about private speech therapy as the nhs arent keen to offer any regular support so ill see where that also takes me as i see it as a crucial time to help my little man ) yep whethers post was pretty unhelpful..suppose there is always some of them about!! smile

Racheyg Sat 31-Oct-15 10:26:23

Hi Jelly,

Whether did the same to me in a post about my ds1 smile

The therapist said that role play was good so we are buying him a kitchen for xmas. Constant repetition of words and use short sentence when talking to him as they only hear a few words. Also one on one play down on the floor at his level. (apologies if this is what you are all ready doing, as I already do this aswell) Hope you make progress, whether you go NHS or private. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now