Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1 year check- doctors or health visitor?

(9 Posts)
Rose138 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:45:31

Hi everyone,

My son will turn 1 in a few weeks. I received a letter today from the health visiting service saying the days and times if I would like to book in for the year check. It says it is optional.

I'm confused as thought this would be completed by our doctor as he will have to have his year jabs. I thought it would be at the same time?

Would love to hear if anyone from your own experience think it is best completed by the doctor, health visitor or either.

Thank you all in advance!

moggle Wed 28-Oct-15 16:26:24

They're separate things. The HV will check weight, ask about development etc, answer any questions you have. The jabs you'll get a separate letter or call from your doctor, I presume (or, however you found out about the baby jabs). I've got our HV check tomorrow but haven't heard about the jabs yet.

Paintedhandprints Wed 28-Oct-15 16:34:07

I think you have to remember to book the jabs yourself with the nurse at your gp.
Hv check is a separate review to check your babies development, weight, etc. It is optional but usually nice to see the Hv to ask any questions. To be honest Hv wasn't very interested with my 1yo, and they often have an agenda to push the latest guidance iyswim. I appreciate they are short staffed and under pressure though.

Sidge Wed 28-Oct-15 16:43:52

Doctor's don't usually do baby and child vaccinations, they're done by the practice nurse or in some areas the HV. You would get an appointment through the post (or an invitation to make an appointment).

The checks done by the HV are developmental checks, not a health check as such. If you have any concerns about your child's health you can make a separate GP appointment.

MrsPatrickDempsey Wed 28-Oct-15 22:22:49

The hv check IS a health review ( hence the name health visitor) Whilst the hv won't treat illness in the way a gp might they will review aspects of health and its promotion including sleep, behaviour, attachment, diet etc. The whole ethos of the hv role is health needs analysis.

Sidge Wed 28-Oct-15 22:39:17

You're right MrsPatrick, I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I should have clarified that it's not a health check as in checking for illness or disease which is what the OP may have expected from a doctor as opposed to a HV.

Jojay Wed 28-Oct-15 22:46:01

It's usually completed by the hv in my experience.

Rose138 Thu 29-Oct-15 08:12:23

That's great, thank you!

We are really happy with his development but will make a health visitor appointment as they are there to help and advise aren't they so I'm not opposed to seeing them at all.

I'll contact my doctors to book him in for his jabs.

Thank you all! X

GiantChocButtons06 Fri 30-Oct-15 22:39:10

1 year check is with the hv, my dd actually had hers at about 10.5months old. And then I booked her jabs at 1 year old with nurse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now