Talk

Advanced search

Gripe water. WWYD

(17 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 23-Oct-15 17:56:03

8 week old has a lot of wind so I've been giving gripe water, as he crys and gets upset in the evening with it. I give the gripe water slowly, with a syringe in his cheek. Tried flavoured ones etc. He just screams when I give it him. Think 'first injections' type scream. Then needs comforting for a few hours.

So I'm stating to think what's worse for him. Screaming because he's got wind, or upsetting him with the gripe water.

Would you leave the gripe water?

I've been doing massage etc too but doesn't seem to help.

AllOutOfNaiceHam Fri 23-Oct-15 18:02:07

Is he breast or bottle fed? Any other problems, like being sicky? Tongue tie can cause some pretty uncomfortable wind issues, regardless of feeding method, and if you are breastfeeding, it may be something you're eating that's making him windy.
Also, do you wind him mid feed?
I always prefer to try to find the root cause for the wind and treat that than to treat just the wind, if possible.

iwantavuvezela Fri 23-Oct-15 18:05:13

My DD who had terrible wind, so I used to give it to her on a dummy which worked. Sympathies to you, I remember that time as being difficult, but luckily it passed after 12 weeks.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Fri 23-Oct-15 18:07:03

I wouldn't give it if it takes a few hours to settle him. Have you tried infacol? Colief drops if bottle fed?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 23-Oct-15 18:13:53

if bottle feeding dentinox colic drops can be added to milk and work really well at relieving wind. My DD used to pop off for England grin far easier than trying to get her to swallow infacol, she didn't even notice it was in there.

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 23-Oct-15 18:32:27

I'll try and answer. Thanks for the help.

He's breastfed, good latch, no tongue tie. He does drink super fast though, I do think that's why. I take him off to slow him down a bit and he does burp a bit. He trumps a lot anyway.

Not overly sickly. Just a bit and not every feed.

Did use Infacol but it didn't work great and gave him the runs.

iwanta how did you give it on a dummy? Did baby get enough for it to work?

DownUdderer Fri 23-Oct-15 18:37:47

Have you thought about what you're eating? I know I stopped eating lentils because I thought (maybe) it was making my dd a bit windy. I never know if farty-type of foods really do make farty/windy babies or not, but I certainly stopped eating something's just in case!!

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 23-Oct-15 18:48:42

Dentinox is AMAZING! Go get it now. Go go go grin

We tried everything so far. Infacol does work but you need to remember to give it a good 5mins before a feed (well that's what worked best for us) whereas dentinox just dissolves bubbles straightaway!

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 23-Oct-15 20:10:14

Thanks. I've thought about what I'm eating but nothing too windy I don't think? No lentils or sprouts!

I've not tried dentinox. How do you give that? For some reason I thought breastfed babies couldn't have it as it goes in the bottle? I'm
Probably totally wrong !

MilkyChops Fri 23-Oct-15 20:21:24

Have you tried a bit of baby massage and leg pumping/cycling? I'm not a raging hippy, it does work.

Dentinox and infacol made my LO projectile vomit. I think as it collected all the wind together it gave my LO more pain than what he started with as the pressure built up in his tummy.

Caffeine in your diet can make them uncomfortable too.. Coffee, fizzy pop, chocolate. Baked beans, cabbage, onions, too much dairy in your own diet.

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 24-Oct-15 11:36:13

Dentinox can be give in a bottle OR after a feed. Can only give it 6x a day.

Babbafish Sat 24-Oct-15 11:54:54

Try removing dairy from your diet for a week and see if it improves. DD was like this for months until someone suggested this. Turns out she is dairy intolerant !!!!! All the dairy I was eating was passing through the breast milk !!!

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 25-Oct-15 04:52:43

Thanks. Yes we do a bit of baby massage and cycle legs etc.
I'm not having caffine - still just on decaff.

The only thing ive not tried is the cutting out dairy thing I suppose. I could try that then. Thanks.

53rdAndBird Sun 25-Oct-15 05:16:26

You sure the problem is wind? 8 weeks is around peak time for babies to cry a lot in the evenings. Mine was hell at this age, and I got told by everyone and their grandmother that it was wind. Looking back I don't think it had anything to do with wind, I'd just never heard of babies crying in the evenings for any other reason. (But they do! Google 'baby witching hour' or 'purple crying').

There is no evidence that eating 'windy' foods yourself has an effect on the baby via breastmilk, btw, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's made out of your blood, not your stomach contents.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Sun 25-Oct-15 05:20:16

You could try giving the gripe water in a medicine dummy instead of by syringe. You put the gripe water in the dummy and let baby suck it out. Most chemists sell medicine dummies.

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 25-Oct-15 06:34:30

I did wonder if it was wind or not. He crys and squirms when trumping so thought that was it. Then again maybe not.

I'll look up those dummies. Thanks

Oh why don't babies come with their own set of instructions!

comeagainforbigfudge Sun 25-Oct-15 09:16:23

Oh I so wish I could understand baby. There was a Dr Who episode where he could speak baby recently. Was sooooooo jealous! There's some video on YouTube with a lady talking to oprah that swears she can decipher baby cries. I've watched a few times but can I figure it out with my wee one? Oh no. The only one I've got down is tired but that is cause she sounds tired. The actual cry is the same. Wee lamb smile

Anyway, if you don't think it's wind or reflux look at this re swaddling - didn't work for me as my wee one is a swaddle escape artist thlgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now