11 months... no teeth!

(34 Posts)
zombiemeow Wed 21-Oct-15 12:16:37

Ds is almost 11 months old has no teeth and no signs at all of them coming anytime soon.

He is under a consultant for cmpa, he saw his consultant last month who looked at his gums and said they were healthy.

It's starting to worry me as a few friends have had babies after I had ds and they all have a couple of teeth now.

Any late teethers out there?

Passmethecrisps Wed 21-Oct-15 12:18:22

My dd didn't get teeth until 11 months. My next door neighbour's kids didn't get teeth until well into their first year.

My dd also had cmpi - not sure it is related though.

The teeth will come when they are ready.

Theonethatgotaway772 Wed 21-Oct-15 12:19:16

Both my dc didn't have any teeth till after their 1st birthdays.

MissRainbowBrite Wed 21-Oct-15 12:20:04

DD was 13 months when her first tooth broke through, I thought they were never going to come!

thingamajig Wed 21-Oct-15 12:22:28

None of my three had teeth till after they were 1. Neither did I. I also lost my baby teeth relatively late as DD1 seems to be. Keeps your grown up teeth safe in your gums for longer. grin

GothicRainbow Wed 21-Oct-15 12:25:27

My DS was 11 months and he got 4 (2 top front and 2 bottom front) all in one hit, he was pretty miserable but they only took a week to appear.

My dentist wasn't concerned and said the best place for his teeth to be was in the gums for as long as possible as then at least they are not getting sugar damage etc!

My DS is now 2.5 and just has his final back molars that need to appear but we don't expect to see them until he's closer to 3 as he's only just finished cutting his eye teeth.

On the plus side the older/bigger they are the more calpol they can have to help with the pain! Plus we found DS was much easier to distract and keep entertained to stop him focusing so much on the pain.

zombiemeow Wed 21-Oct-15 13:00:12

So good to hear grin

I was panicking as I thought I was the only one. When I told the consultant there's no sign of teeth he looked concerned and said that he should have some by now, but he just checked his mouth and told me to wait it out.

mrsmugoo Wed 21-Oct-15 14:28:15

Mine was after a year too. He's 19 months now and still has loads to go!

umiaisha Wed 21-Oct-15 14:49:31

My eldest didn't get any until she was 13 months old. According to my grandma the later the better as the teeth are stronger and they suffer less with teething. My sister and I were the same and neither of us have a filling at 35 and 32!

zombiemeow Wed 21-Oct-15 17:57:46

Thanks everyone. Let's hope they come through and are stronger and healthier for it!

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Wed 21-Oct-15 19:42:12

I have a relative who is a dentist and mine got teeth late.

She told me that it is totally normal for the first tooth to come through any time up to 18 months. There is a very wide spectrum of normal. Only after 18 mths would a dentist consider follow up (like maybe an x ray to check they are under there!).

YouBastardSockBalls Wed 21-Oct-15 19:53:57

My 15 month old has just got her first tooth smile
We considered throwing a party!

Blackkat13 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:06:13

My first tooth arrived on my first birthday, my DC's didn't get theirs till they were nearly one too.
If your concerned you could take your DC to the dentist for a checkup..

zombiemeow Wed 21-Oct-15 20:54:57

Is there a chance they aren't under there blush this has been my fear

I think you should throw a party for the tooth, think I will plan one when ds gets his.

Passmethecrisps Wed 21-Oct-15 21:04:04

My mil apparently took my DH to the doctor. She was terribly concerned as DH had no teeth as yet.

The stern doc scowled at her before saying "madam. Have you ever met a gentleman his twenties with no teeth?"

I am sure it does happen but it must be terribly unusual.

Luckystar1 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:05:22

My DS has 10 teeth at 11 months, it is honestly, not some to celebrate, especially as I'm still breastfeeding.... There has been blood...

Skiingmaniac Wed 21-Oct-15 21:07:51

16 months for my ds and 9 months for dd - all unique ??

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Wed 21-Oct-15 21:33:48

It is vanishingly unlikely that there are no teeth - though it is a medical condition. It is more common - though still rare - for one or two to be missing. It is also a possible medical condition to have milk teeth but no adult ones. It's like any body part - children can be born with one kidney or whatever.

Put it this way, my relative has been practising 30 years and has never seen a child with no teeth. Or had a colleague who has.

You are really not in the realms of even notably late at this stage. The same relative gets rather annoyed that the internet baby sites often say 6-12 months is 'normal'. She says normal is much wider - basically birth to 18 months. With plenty of kids being after their first birthday (that was true for two of my three, and one cut the 18 month deadline pretty fine grin ).

onlywhenyouleave Wed 21-Oct-15 21:40:12

My DS was 13 months before his first tooth appeared. I mentioned it once to an acquaintance who was a health visitor and she said that the later they get their teeth, the later they lose them so their adult teeth are better as they also come later (if that makes sense). Anyway, he is now nearly 7 and still has all his baby teeth so I do believe there is something in what she said - he is desperate to lose a tooth as he is the only child in his class not to have lost any and his best friend who is 7 months younger has lost about 5!!

Bunbaker Wed 21-Oct-15 22:11:07

DD cut her first tooth on her first birthday. Please don't worry.

1down1togo Wed 21-Oct-15 22:17:04

Ds1 got first tooth at 15 months
19 and at uni has one baby tooth that has still not falling out
Dentist said its fine

futureme Wed 21-Oct-15 22:19:34

It's very very rare to have no teeth at all. I have no second teeth and live in fear of my kids being the same. However its so very very rare that every consultant/dentist wants to look/meet me when I go places!

My daughter is nearly 7 and hasn't lost her milk teeth but apparently the gums look "ok" according to the dentist. I think they might be able to tell there's something there but not out yet?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Wed 21-Oct-15 22:29:51

futureme - Wow. I've only heard of one person before (male, so not you, unless you are that rare man on MN).

They can tell on an x-ray that there are second teeth.

wizzler Wed 21-Oct-15 22:32:24

DS was 13 months when he lost his first tooth. He is now 11 and has only lost 6. Dentist says nothing to worry about!

ouryve Wed 21-Oct-15 22:34:07

Both of mine were almost a year before they got any teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now