Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

10 month old DD has started waking in the night - tummy or teething? And how to help?

(5 Posts)
SallyMischievo Sun 18-Oct-15 10:59:59

My DD has started waking up several times a night clearly in discomfort. Crying, arching her back, straining her tummy and writhing. At first we thought it was down to teething but Calpol has made no difference and we don't want to give Calpol if it is trapped wind or a stomach ache. Sometimes she can be awake for several hours too uncomfortable to settle and we are both becoming increasingly exhausted!
As a bit of background, she was constipated a few weeks ago and we had to use Lactulose, Movicol and resort to using suppositories twice when they failed to work. We are no longer using these and she is going regularly again, much to our relief! I have stopped giving her Fromage Frais as it suddenly occurred to me there could be a connection with that upsetting her tummy but it hasn't made a difference. Any advice would be gratefully received.

typetytypetypes Sun 18-Oct-15 18:50:35

Is it definitely pain? I just remember with both of mine they had sleep regressions / growth spurts at 10mo and needed night feeds and extra settling for about 2 weeks.

On the pain front however, DS1 had similar experiences to your DD, when he was smaller (2-6mo) due to reflux. We found infant Gaviscon to be useless as it made him very gassy so just a different discomfort, but ranitidine helped. DS2 also had a lot of discomfort at night around 9mo and we changed him to Hipp follow on and that helped, previously was on C&G.

Hope she feels better soon flowers

SallyMischievo Sun 18-Oct-15 22:06:07

Thank you so much for your kind reply. She seems uncomfortable and upset when she wakes but it could be sleep regression. I am still breastfeeding but planning to start phasing out feeds soon. Wondering if there is something I am feeding her that is disagreeing with her - wheat or dairy maybe? Although she is fine during the day. Thank you again!

Zombiemama Mon 19-Oct-15 23:37:17

I could have wrote your post a few weeks ago! Dd is almost 11m now and we had an awful few weeks of this I couldn't work out if it was teeth or tummy either.

She had started eating organic yogurt, nibbling pancake and we were slowly introducing cows milk...I pulled all of those things and the pains stopped. Now I'm having to introduce them again slowly one at a time to see if I can pin point what is causing the pains as the doctor keeps saying it's just her teeth!

She sleeps well now I just have to be within touching distance of her but that's another thread!!

SallyMischievo Tue 20-Oct-15 19:46:06

Thank you so much, Zombie. I'm racking my brains as the only thing we've started giving her recently that she hasn't had before is Fromage Frais - have switched to Rachel's organic yoghurts now. Have had a wheat free day today and will try the same for two or three more days to see if that makes a difference. Will then try the same tactic with dairy. Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now