Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Formula feeding. Am I being dim?

(11 Posts)
BlueThursday Sat 17-Oct-15 19:57:37

DD is 9 months and formula fed.

I've never really paid too much attention to the box other than what I need but when I was making a bottle the other day I was reading the scoops to water table at the back.

We've always used metric measurements and so for every 30ml of water a scoop of formula is added. On the table one scoop is for one fl oz of water too but on DDs bottle the numbers aren't aligned.

So for example DD has 240ml of water and 8 scoops but 240ml is greater than 8 fl oz. If emphasis is placed on measurements being accurate and don't give less or more than the table how can they both be correct?

I need MN wisdom here for my ramblings grin

NickNacks Sat 17-Oct-15 20:10:01

We've always used metric measurements and so for every 30ml of water a scoop of formula is added.

So where did you get this info from if not from the formula tin?

BlueThursday Sat 17-Oct-15 20:15:29

I did get it from there - as I said I only read what was relevant to me, not the imperial information

NickNacks Sat 17-Oct-15 20:31:54

Oh ok. I'm having a thick moment then because I'm not really sure what you're saying grin

BlueThursday Sat 17-Oct-15 20:44:26

It'll be my ramblings!

The box says floz should be the same as mls stated but the bottle has them differing

sugartees Sat 17-Oct-15 20:53:16

I remember looking at an Avent bottle and having the exact same thought. Now we've got a Perfect Prep so I leave it up to the machine to get it right grin
As long as you don't add a whole scoop less or more than you should for the volume of water then it's ok to have a slight discrepancy between ml and fl oz. I hope! Plus UK fl oz is slightly different to US fl oz so there's another thing to consider. Oh dear, I'm needing a lie down!

BlueThursday Sat 17-Oct-15 20:55:34

I shouldn't have studied that box!

Pico2 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:57:44

If it mattered, they wouldn't put both on the box. So it must be an acceptable tolerance.

dementedpixie Sat 17-Oct-15 20:58:23

I always used mls rather than oz too as I hoped it would be better for preventing constipation.

Pointytoes Wed 21-Oct-15 09:57:26

I noticed this too. I always used oz as that came more naturally to me, even though the hospital used mls. It must be a negligible difference, but the markings are not parallel on the bottles.

Babytookacupwoo Wed 21-Oct-15 09:58:52

I noticed this. I can only assume it doesn't matter too much, ie 7oz is 210ml not 200 as stated on the box

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now