Meningitis jab for 2-3 year olds?

(5 Posts)
April2013 Wed 30-Sep-15 13:50:03

I have heard that babies will now be offered a men b jab but does anyone know if toddlers will be offered this? My little boy will be 3 in November. If the NHS are not offering this, I wish they would explain why and how you can get it privately - anyone know if it is available privately? They are offering a jab to teenagers too apparently. Thanks very much for any advice about this

0ddsocks Wed 30-Sep-15 13:52:52

Hello,

I have been informed it won't be made available for older children.

I would google for private gp surgeries in your local area -
Or ask your NHS GP if they know of local private surgeries

KeepSmiling83 Wed 30-Sep-15 16:13:53

No I don't think it will be offered to older children. My youngest has just had it privately as she missed out on it by a few days. My eldest is having it done in a few weeks.

RNBrie Wed 30-Sep-15 16:22:13

Interesting - I just took my DD for her 3.5 yr jabs and the nurse told me that older children will definitely get it on the NHS, they are just working out the details of the program to roll it out. She may well be wrong, but she sounded completely sure!

CPtart Wed 30-Sep-15 16:28:52

I'm a practice nurse who administers this. As it stands, if your child was born before May 2015 they will not be eligible for the jab. I haven't heard of any plans to introduce it for toddlers either, children are at highest risk at a few months old. You can get it privately, our surgery charges £70 per dose plus admin plus delivery so almost £100. Toddlers would need two doses. I believe travel clinics might be offering it too.
The vaccine for teenagers is Meningitis ACWY, so different strains. This replaces the Men C previously given at 14/15 to school leavers and has been introduced due to the increased incidence of the W strain in young adults.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now