Why can't my baby poo?! Constipation in 9 month old

(5 Posts)
SallyMischievo Fri 18-Sep-15 17:53:18

Apologies for the distasteful subject matter. I have posted a couple of times in the last three or four weeks. Ever since we started weaning, DD has had quite a troubled tummy with lots of green runny poos. However it has now gone to the other extreme with constipation which culminated in us having to use a glycerin suppository three weeks ago after Lactulose and Movicol failed to work. We then had normalish poos but she has now not pooed for ten days again, despite giving her Movicol since Monday as advised by our GP. We have been to the GP four times now and she keeps saying that constipation is common and to keep up the Movicol but I am feeling so anxious and upset that it doesn't seem to be effective and at the prospect of having to administer another suppository this evening, (she screamed and screamed last time).
I am at the end of my tether as I don't know why this has happened. I am ultra careful with her solids, (she is not eating much but I try offering food three times a day and always give prunes, fruit and veg at each mealtime). When I asked the GP about food intolerances or allergies, she said these are likely to manifest themselves in diorrhea, (sorry for spelling!), not constipation. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you! She is BF and we give water with each meal although she isn't great at swallowing it! Movicol has been given via a syringe.

Peanutbutternutter419 Fri 18-Sep-15 19:21:09

Oh your poor little DD! We were in the same position at the same age with my DS and obviously everyone is different so please don't worry but my DS was found to have cows milk intolerance after several months of dropping the centiles, severe constipation and not eating. It has been a long ride with trips to the dietician/ paediatrician and at 2 and a half years old we are now finally settled with Movical and dairy free diet and he is catching up in height and weight.
I think that their stools do get affected slightly when weaning so it may just be her body adjusting but if it carries on and she seems distressed when trying to go then maybe push for a dietician appointment.

SallyMischievo Fri 18-Sep-15 20:05:47

Thank you so much, Peanut. Can I ask how a dietician goes about testing for lactose intolerance and other allergies in a baby? I'm sorry to be so clueless! Can our GP refer us or would we need to go to a private practitioner?

Peanutbutternutter419 Fri 18-Sep-15 20:51:11

Unfortunately they can't physically test for the intolerances, it's a bit of trial and error. We had to eliminate dairy from his diet and then see how he reacted. Unfortunately it took 4 months to see the dietician and by that point he had started withholding his stools on purpose. We tried lactose which helped a little but it has been amazing with the Movicol and he now goes every day without a problem.
Dairy intolerance runs in my family which is why I think they were quick to try that first.
The GP referred is so as I say, keep an eye on her but if you feel that it may be an intolerance push to see the dietician. As she is still BF and quite young, could you try dairy free anyway at the moment by making sure she is getting enough calcium from your milk and green veg etc?

SallyMischievo Sat 19-Sep-15 09:15:38

Thank you, that's so helpful. I have only been giving her minimal amounts of dairy, (a splash of milk in porridge and mashed potato and a little bit of grated cheddar) but I could easily eliminate that. It's certainly worth a try! Do you mean that I should avoid eating dairy too? I'm wiling to do ANYTHING to help whilst she is still breastfeeding - even giving up cheese toasties!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now