Talk

Advanced search

Don't know if this is the right place - leaky nappy

(16 Posts)
fishcake84 Thu 10-Sep-15 08:07:03

Hello all, just after a bit of advice and to see if anyone has any hints and tips for me.

DS is almost 7 months old and since about 4.5 - 5 months we haven't had to change his nappy overnight, which I feel has helped him to stay sleepy when having night feeds and helped me get more sleep in general!

In the last month or so he has become much more active at night and rolls onto his side or front and I find in those positions his nappy leaks urine, either out of the top at the front, or the legs at the side. So he is waking up about 5am cold and wet. When I then get him clean and dry, he is awake and up for the day, which isn't ideal for me at 5am! It doesn't happen every night, maybe every third night.

I tried going back to changing his nappy as a routine when he has his last late night feed at about 10:30 - 11pm, but it seems to wake him up completely and I spend 30 - 60mins getting him back to sleep. And he seems a bit distraught that I've woken him up.

He weighs 19lb (about 8.5kg I think) and is in size three nappies. Currently using the Mamia ones from Aldi, but have also tried a couple of Pampers ones. I don't know if they were active fit or just normal ones though as I borrowed them from my SIL and they weren't in their original packet.

So, any hints and tips for keeping his nappy from leaking? I figure my options are 1) strap him onto his back with some kind of harness so he can't turn over grin, 2) accept the fairly frequent 5am wake ups, 3) accept the late night hysteria and continue to change him with last feed, 4) try different brand of nappies, 5)... something else?

Many thanks in advance!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 10-Sep-15 08:09:36

A bigger sizes pull up over a nappy? Reusables? Or a reusable nappy wrap over his normal nappy?

ALongTimeComing Thu 10-Sep-15 08:16:01

He's well within the range for size 4s. My wee one is about 17lbs and in size 4s. I think they start at 15lb?

fieldfare Thu 10-Sep-15 08:23:40

Go up a size to begin with, but it might be worth trying a different brand if that doesn't work.

cookielove Thu 10-Sep-15 08:25:34

We use baby dry pampers at night, we have no leaks smile

fredandme123 Thu 10-Sep-15 08:28:48

Just go up a size it will solve the problems.

fishcake84 Thu 10-Sep-15 08:36:24

Ooops, he is in size 4s anyway, not 3s. Brainpower slowly eroding smile

Thanks for your replies. I might try going up a size for his night time nappy, and if no good might try as Merkin suggests with a bigger pull up over the top. Might have to experiment with some other brands too (but damn it I like my cheapy nappies!)

nottheOP Thu 10-Sep-15 08:39:40

Presuming you are weaning, he will hopefully feed less at night now and won't wee as much too. We night weaned at 7.5 months but that's another thread!

FattyNinjaOwl Thu 10-Sep-15 08:47:35

For cheap nappies, I swear by Sainsbury's little ones. I have a 20 month old and a nearly 6 week old in them.

Nottalotta Thu 10-Sep-15 10:03:36

DS is only 7 wks but has slept on his side since he was born (i put him on his back, he immediately goes onto his side) he has leaky nappies at times. I have come to the conclusion that he does big wees that pour out through the leg gauzy bit before they nappy can soak it up. Haven't tried pampers baby dry but several other types. They all do it so am sticking to Aldi !

feezap Thu 10-Sep-15 10:08:00

We had exactly the same problem, we moved up to 4+ for nighttime and that sorted it. We use Aldi nappies too, they are great smile

fishcake84 Thu 10-Sep-15 10:12:03

Thanks all!

Emergency dash to Aldi this afternoon I reckon!

hullabaloo234 Thu 10-Sep-15 10:15:09

I use a size bigger for bedtime nappies for this same reason, it always works for us smile I use ASDA or Tesco nappies during the day and pampers baby dry overnight

gamerchick Thu 10-Sep-15 10:18:38

Make sure all the ruffly bits around the legs are all pulled out as well. They'll leak if they're tucked in.

fishcake84 Thu 10-Sep-15 11:09:20

Thanks gamer I am all over the ruffly bits, or frilly bits as they are called in our house.

if DH is changing a nappy, I just have to call his name up the stairs and he yells back "I know I know, the bloody frilly bits!"

gamerchick Thu 10-Sep-15 11:11:05

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now