Talk

Advanced search

'dropping' a feed

(10 Posts)
LittleMiss77 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:06:19

Following a visit to the HV, she suggested that as DS is now 7wks and gaining weight, to not wake him at night for a feed but to let him wake us.

Whilst im excited at the prospect of an extra hour or 2 in bed at night, DP and i are disagreeing as to which feed to drop as it were.

We feed at 8pm - do we put to bed and wait for him to wake with the prospect of having to get up at 2 - 3am or, wake and feed at midnight in the hope DS sleeps through until 5ish?

helloelo Mon 31-Aug-15 19:12:46

Many do a "dream feed" at around 11pm. You wake the baby just enough for him to latch, eat and fall back asleep immediately. Depending on the baby you could then be in for a good night sleep but don't sweat it if he wakes up again at 2am and 5am, it would be completely normal.
Good luck!

soundsystem Mon 31-Aug-15 19:17:45

Yep I'd give dream feeds a go, and if it doesn't work that well (if your DS still wakes at 2am) maybe just wait until he wakes you! I know lots of people who swear by dream feeds; with my DD it never really worked: she happily had the dream feed and then still had her regular one, so it didn't result in dropping a feed! In the end we just let her be and she woke us when she was hungry!

LittleMiss77 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:28:55

How does a dream feed work? Is it just a case of giving a few ounces to top them up and then back off to bed in the hope that the top up is enough to see them through to a more respectable hour?!

soundsystem Tue 01-Sep-15 22:27:54

Pretty much!

anothernumberone Tue 01-Sep-15 22:30:04

Little miss we gave a full feed at 11 and let them drink as much as they were interested in, given that they were only half awake sometimes it was less than others. It worked well for both my dds.

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 03-Sep-15 10:42:38

You've been waking to feed? Is this a FF baby thing? I've not heard of it.

Artandco Thu 03-Sep-15 10:45:18

I would dreamfeed at 11pm before you sleep. That means don't wake baby fully, just enough he starts feeding. Feed in dark, with little interaction. Straight back in bed

anothernumberone Thu 03-Sep-15 19:05:39

Luckiest I don't think it is particularly a ff thing although I did not specifically do it with my BF child since he cluster fed in the evening whereas the ff ones went to bed earlier so we lifted them to feed.

hullabaloo234 Thu 03-Sep-15 19:10:17

Oh wow, my DD is almost 11 weeks and wakes every 2-3 hours at night - I thought this was good haha! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now