Talk

Advanced search

Do some children just like being naughty??

(5 Posts)
ButtonMoon88 Wed 26-Aug-15 16:38:14

I'm at my wits end.

Biting, smacking, pulling hair (from the roots), pushing and today we had throwing toys in a babies face. Up to now DH and I have been doing the whole getting into child's level and very calmly but firmly saying No that's not ok, and moving child to side and then asking them to apolgise. But this has been going on for months. He sleeps and eats well, it's almost as if he is looking for ways to hurt other children.
What more can I do? Other children don't want to play with him and he will seem to 'attack' for no reason. He is 21months.

Any advice welcome

insanityscatching Wed 26-Aug-15 18:31:31

I think some children take longer to learn how to be gentle that's all. I don't think at 21 months a child has any real idea of what is naughty and certainly aren't intentionally so. I would supervise really closely, model nice behaviour and praise all positives. I can't see the point of trying to get an apology as he won't either know nor understand what or why he is expected to say sorry but the loss of your attention whilst you comfort the child he has upset will speak volumes.

NickyEds Wed 26-Aug-15 21:47:00

i have a 20 month old who is.......spirited. Plenty of tantrums, a fair amount of throwing things, launching himself onto the floor, screaming..I could go on. At the moment I say "no" twice and gently try and divert him from whatever he's doing. If when that doesn't work I remove him saying nothing then ignore, ignore, ignore. He can hardly talk at all but even if he could I wouldn't bother with apologies-he's too little to understand. It's nothing personal and they aren't being intentionally naughty, it's just their age. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself! I do think that some kids are much more challenging than others though.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 26-Aug-15 21:50:58

Yes - a sharp NO and lots of attention on hurt child, then ignore, dont even look at them.

WombOfOnesOwn Thu 27-Aug-15 00:30:28

He's curious about their reactions. At that age, there is no empathy in any child--the ones who are less "naughty" are just more cowed by punishment or more compliant with demands or less curious about human reactions to aggressive moves.

This will pass! The worst thing you can do is get an idea in your head that you just have a naughty, aggressive child, or to let that idea get into your child's head--that becomes a self-reinforcing cycle in which the kid becomes what the parent believes them to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now