Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for helping a toddler with a nasty tickly cough

(11 Posts)
Highlove Thu 20-Aug-15 20:09:02

My poor 18mo has got a nasty cough. Not productive, just annoying and tickly. She's otherwise well, eating fine and no temp. So I'm not planning to take her the Dr unless it doesn't clear up - it's cme on in the last 3-4 days. That's right, isn't it - she doesn't need a Dr yet?

And amy tips to help her? It's just a bit annoying by day but typically its much worse at night and the last two nights have been pretty grim, she just keeps waking herself up and struggling to settle. I'm alternating between benylin and cal cough - not sure they're actually helping but feels like we're doing something. Is there anything else that would help? My poor girl - she just wants to go to sleep.

Thanks.

Highlove Thu 20-Aug-15 22:36:53

Hopeful/desperate bump. We're both knackered!

Haggisfish Thu 20-Aug-15 22:38:20

We say in a really hot steamy bathroom for a while. Then out into the cold. The Vicks plug in thing was quite goid, too.

ffffffedup Thu 20-Aug-15 22:47:33

Vicks on the bottom of feet then put socks on also put a bit on the Adams apple area

dementedpixie Thu 20-Aug-15 23:07:46

Maybe piriton antihistamine could help.
I thought calcough wasn't suitable for under age 6 and Vicks isn't suitable for under age 2.
Try a spoonful of honey as it's supposed to help soothe the throat

dementedpixie Thu 20-Aug-15 23:08:58

Or are you using the non drowsy infant calcough?

Highlove Thu 20-Aug-15 23:17:23

Guess it must be the non-drowsy - I've double checked the calcough and says 2x5ml spoonfuls for 1-5 yr olds. Thanks, I might give the antihistamine a go; she's hacking away right now so I imagine will be awake shortly. We've got some piriton she was prescribed a while back so I guess it's worth trying.

ffffffedup Thu 20-Aug-15 23:19:41

I've used vicks on mine from that age but if your unsure you can use snuffle babe that's from 3m and pretty much the same thing

MishMooshAndMogwai Thu 20-Aug-15 23:31:46

I second the Vicks on the feet tactic. Some poo-poo it but it works every time on dd and i

Avebury Thu 20-Aug-15 23:34:28

Vicks on the feet and anything with glycerine in it. Also Calpol just to try and put them in a slightly deeper sleep and therefore less likely to disturb themselves.

Baconyum Thu 20-Aug-15 23:39:02

I swear by covonia but don't know if suitable for 18 month old now. Likewise set honey in a warm lemon and ginger drink.

Oh yes treacle, lemon n ginger!

If its likely due to a nasal drip/cold eucalyptus and menthol oil/ good ol Vicks vaporub?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now