Talk

Advanced search

Toddler hitting - what to do??

(7 Posts)
hereharehere33 Tue 18-Aug-15 12:30:32

My 2.9yr DS is generally a good little boy (I think!!). However, he smacks me, normally completely out the blue. Yesterday, he slapped me across the face when we were sitting drawing together. I firmly put him down on the sofa, told him not to hit me and walked out. He cried for a bit then came and apologised. But then, 10 or so mins later, he did it again. This time he ran off, laughing. So I repeated the 'telling off' process again...and round we go....

This happens regularly, only to me, never to Daddy. I spoke to my Mum and she said none of us hit her, ever. If we did, she would have smack us back instantly. She did smack us for doing really naughty things, and I don't think (!) it has affected me in anyway. I look back at my childhood very fondly, although I do remember the smacks!!

Should I be more firm with my DS? I never thought I'd go down the smacking route, but what else can do? Smacking him for smacking me seems a tad wrong!! Its be going on for months so not sure its just a faze. I've done the naughty corner, talking to him firmly, taken away toys etc etc....

As I say, he's normally a good boy, yes of course he has tantrums - he's a toddler but he calms down quickly. But why the hitting??

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or try next?

Polka007 Tue 18-Aug-15 14:43:59

I didn't want to read and run but it sounds a tricky one to be honest - like you say smacking him for smacking you sounds confusing for him to understand, let alone all the other implications that come with smacking.....very good luck.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 18-Aug-15 14:47:46

Try to catch his hand,tell him firmly no,then continue with whatever you were doing.My guess is he's enjoying the cafuffle he's causing.
Seems you'll just have to be really consistent.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 18-Aug-15 15:11:19

We've been doing the naughty chair/thinking step/time out with our DC of a similar age. Is this something that you've tried if you do want to avoid smacking?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 18-Aug-15 15:12:40

Ah sorry missed the bit where you said you'd done that.
What happens when you use that sort of tactic?
I find that there is rarely a once and for all solution with toddlers, more of a drip drip drip effect with discipline.

Millionprammiles Tue 18-Aug-15 16:37:03

We used 'thinking time' in a separate space, within earshot but out of sight (obv after an explanation of why its wrong etc). This was something the nursery did too (a staff member stayed with the child but they were separated away from the other children for 2 mins). It worked really well.

You do need to tackle it (otherwise you'll be THAT parent who has a form to sign every day at pre-school...).

Lonz Tue 18-Aug-15 17:24:13

What we do now is sit my son on the step if he hits. He did it a lot before, mainly thinking he's playing. After we make him apologise, if not he sits on the step still until he does, then ask why he did it and say it's not nice.

His nursery have started dong this too and t has improved. But yes, smacking to tell him off for smacking defeats the object a bit. Time out I think is the best way to go - don't acknowledge him until he's ready to say sorry. Then they're meant to realise they don't get anywhere by doing it.
Like I said it's improved but not completely stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now