Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone have a ten year old DSd get fatter then slim down as puberty started?

(15 Posts)
Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 20:11:03

My DS is ten and as far as I can tell his diet hasn't changed at all
He has always had a good appetite but eats really sensibly, we cook from scratch and he almost never snacks (he's not interested in eating between meals) and we never have fizzy pop or sweets, very occasional bit of choc or some home made cake (maybe twice a week)

He has always been bang on average weight and height but in the last six months I've noticed he just seems to be carrying more fat. Mainly around his bum and tum but a little bit upper arms too.
I can still see his ribs when he moves about but he is definitely not slim anymore. He has had the odd burst of few days when his appetite seems much bigger and he has topped up with the odd bowl of cereal or a slice of toast in the evening but I can't say there has been much change overall

He is very active, does plenty of sport (averages about six to eight hours a week) and messes about outside lots. He is happy to walk or bike with me if I suggest it and will happily churn out a five mile walk in an evening.

Is this a pre pubertal change in body and I can expect him to shoot up and slim out or shall I start doing something about it?

All I can think to do is totally cut out any extras like an ice cream at the park or pudding if we eat out and reduce his portions at family meals a bit?

I know the term pre pubertal 'puppy fat' can be an excuse to ignore obesity but it seems odd things have changed in a really heathily eating child? Even DH who is a bit blind to this stuff commented to me that DS looked chubbier and I'm getting worried we will act too late.

RedCurlyTots Sun 16-Aug-15 20:15:43

Just girls here but when DSD was 9/10 she put on quite a bit of weight after previously being a quite slim child. She did lose it pretty natrually and is a size 10 as 22 year old adult. When dd1 was 10 she also put on quite a bit of weight even though she's always been a healthy eater and quite active. She's 12 now and has lost most of it apart from a slight belly.

BL00CowWonders Sun 16-Aug-15 20:15:49

Yes. Looked very very chunky in year 6. Grew more than 4 inches in year 7 (not great for uniform...) and totally changed shape.
Never stops eating now smile

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 16-Aug-15 20:24:56

DS1 is almost 13 and he definitely went through a chubbier stage at the end of primary, which then translated into an enormous growth spurt during Y7 - he grew out of 2 sets of uniform in 12 months and his feet grew by 4 whole sizes over the same period.

DS2 is now 11 and is looking a bit chubbier than normal, so I am bracing myself for the imminent growth spurt.

I personally wouldn't reduce his portion size just yet, wait to see if it is a growth spurt. Make sure that what he is eating is reasonably healthy and keep up the exercise and it should all come good. If he still looks chubby in a few months time and the growth spurt doesn't seem to have hit then maybe reconsider.

Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 20:26:49

Thanks for replying

That's reassuring to hear other stories although I won't stop keeping an eye

Seems a bit unfair if he had a weight problem when he couldn't be a healthier eater and isn't at all greedy or driven by habit in the way he eats

Tonight we went for fish and chips as on holiday and he only ate about a third as said he just wasn't hungry (altho had only had soup for lunch, nothing all afternoon and playing cricket on beach all day) and hasn't asked for anything else since. He is so sensible at eating to appetite. Wish I could be more like him!

Muddlewitch Sun 16-Aug-15 20:27:19

Yes DS who is 15 had this, as did my niece. Both are 'in proportion' now in terms of height/build.

LynetteScavo Sun 16-Aug-15 20:34:45

DS started to put on weight aged 10 (still average weight for his height but he'd always been skinny )

We made him do loads of exercise (he didn't protest as he really likes sport). He's now pure solid muscle. His body is a different shape; solid as he hasn't had a real growth spurt, but definitely not the skinnyest in the class like he used to be.

I'm not sure he will have a growth spurt, tbh.

gordonpym Sun 16-Aug-15 20:37:03

I've just noticed the same with my DS1. He has become a lot rounder around the waist. Like you, I only cook from scratch, but I am very aware, this doesn't mean healthy. It may not be processed food, but they are certainly tons of calories in some of the dishes I cook (pasta bolognaise). I also bake a lot. He doesn't snack but when he arrives home from school (we are in Australia so school is still on), he has milk and cookies/cake for snack. A very generous size of cake or cookies.

I've thrown away the breakfast cereals and just started to change the menu. Instead of potatoes, I'll put fennel on the table. So more vegs. More protein and lean cooked, grilled chicken, poached fish, .... instead of crumbled chicken. Now for his snack, I've halved the cookies and give him a bowl of sliced strawberries, kiwi, banana instead. Before I would just leave the packet on the table, now I serve him the plate with the cookies and no second servings of anything except vegs.

Mine is very active as well and walks to school. But he has a big appetite and big portions. He would often ask for seconds. He doesn't do the evening snack, but that may be because we eat late 7.30pm.

I am certainly not waiting to see if he is going to shoot up. He has noticed it as well, because some of his favorite shorts are tighter at the waist and he isn't happy about it. So he is quite happy to make some changes.

Orangeanddemons Sun 16-Aug-15 20:37:06

Oh yes, my ds was a proper chub at 10-12. Then he grew....and grew....and grew, and sort of stretched out, until he hit 6ft 5! And as thin as a lat

TheHormonalHooker Sun 16-Aug-15 20:44:19

Yes, DS1 was quite chunky in Yr6/beginning of Yr7 and he was quite aware of it. He watched what he ate all the time, wouldn't have treats and puddings etc. He shot up in Y7, went through 2 blazers, umpteen pairs of school shoes and trousers.

Anyhow, he's 20 now and in the army. He's 4th fittest in his Squadron. He's out running every night, down the gym, is one of the best swimmers and is just pure muscle.

I bet you in the next 6/9 months your DS will shoot up and his trouser legs and sleeves will be at half mast!

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 16-Aug-15 20:57:19

That was one of the biggest changes in DS1 at that age - although he was also growing in height really quickly his body shape changed completely. His shoulders became broader, he developed the start of a six-pack and his thigh muscles really bulked out. He plays a lot of sport including rugby and football and you could see the strength and power he had on the field developed enormously. He needed extra calories to fuel that growth. I don't mean crisps and chocolate, but plenty of lean protein and wholegrain carbs along with a variety of fruit and veg.

Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 21:01:33

Thanks all for input

He isn't aware of it at all as far as I can tell- he hasn't commented and not have I.
He is growing out of his clothes but in length as much as waist and is still in aged 10 clothes at ten and a half

I'll plot him in his red book and see as he has always been 50thcentile for weight and height

He doesn't eat cake or biscuits most days. We do have a decent family pudding on a Sunday and I'm now aware of not taking the whole dish to the table as its too easy to tuck in for seconds or thirds but in the week it's just a yoghurt or fruit or nothing.
After school snack if anything is a sandwich.
That said school lunches do a proper pudding but he only has it if he has a sports club at lunch or sport all afternoon (twice a week) as he says he feels too full otherwise.

I'll look at the portions a bit I think
That goes for all of us as we are quite big eaters I think altho this includes big pile of vegetables every meal.

Do tend to cook again in the evenings so could probably look at a lighter tea if they have had a school lunch. Eating a proper meal twice a day might be a bit much? I just like to get veg in them and harder if they aren't eating a main course type meal. Might do more soup (normally twice a week).

DixieNormas Sun 16-Aug-15 21:02:08

Yes both of mine, I was the same

missorinoco Sun 16-Aug-15 21:09:19

My children are too young to answer this from experience, but I have a recollection that children deposit body fat prior to puberty.

Could be an old wives tale though, so happy to stand corrected.

Mashtag Mon 17-Aug-15 14:06:22

Ah well I'm an old wife so that makes sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now