Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Did anyone have a ten year old DSd get fatter then slim down as puberty started?

(15 Posts)
Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 20:11:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedCurlyTots Sun 16-Aug-15 20:15:43

Just girls here but when DSD was 9/10 she put on quite a bit of weight after previously being a quite slim child. She did lose it pretty natrually and is a size 10 as 22 year old adult. When dd1 was 10 she also put on quite a bit of weight even though she's always been a healthy eater and quite active. She's 12 now and has lost most of it apart from a slight belly.

BL00CowWonders Sun 16-Aug-15 20:15:49

Yes. Looked very very chunky in year 6. Grew more than 4 inches in year 7 (not great for uniform...) and totally changed shape.
Never stops eating now smile

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 16-Aug-15 20:24:56

DS1 is almost 13 and he definitely went through a chubbier stage at the end of primary, which then translated into an enormous growth spurt during Y7 - he grew out of 2 sets of uniform in 12 months and his feet grew by 4 whole sizes over the same period.

DS2 is now 11 and is looking a bit chubbier than normal, so I am bracing myself for the imminent growth spurt.

I personally wouldn't reduce his portion size just yet, wait to see if it is a growth spurt. Make sure that what he is eating is reasonably healthy and keep up the exercise and it should all come good. If he still looks chubby in a few months time and the growth spurt doesn't seem to have hit then maybe reconsider.

Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 20:26:49

Muddlewitch Sun 16-Aug-15 20:27:19

Yes DS who is 15 had this, as did my niece. Both are 'in proportion' now in terms of height/build.

LynetteScavo Sun 16-Aug-15 20:34:45

DS started to put on weight aged 10 (still average weight for his height but he'd always been skinny )

We made him do loads of exercise (he didn't protest as he really likes sport). He's now pure solid muscle. His body is a different shape; solid as he hasn't had a real growth spurt, but definitely not the skinnyest in the class like he used to be.

I'm not sure he will have a growth spurt, tbh.

gordonpym Sun 16-Aug-15 20:37:03

I've just noticed the same with my DS1. He has become a lot rounder around the waist. Like you, I only cook from scratch, but I am very aware, this doesn't mean healthy. It may not be processed food, but they are certainly tons of calories in some of the dishes I cook (pasta bolognaise). I also bake a lot. He doesn't snack but when he arrives home from school (we are in Australia so school is still on), he has milk and cookies/cake for snack. A very generous size of cake or cookies.

I've thrown away the breakfast cereals and just started to change the menu. Instead of potatoes, I'll put fennel on the table. So more vegs. More protein and lean cooked, grilled chicken, poached fish, .... instead of crumbled chicken. Now for his snack, I've halved the cookies and give him a bowl of sliced strawberries, kiwi, banana instead. Before I would just leave the packet on the table, now I serve him the plate with the cookies and no second servings of anything except vegs.

Mine is very active as well and walks to school. But he has a big appetite and big portions. He would often ask for seconds. He doesn't do the evening snack, but that may be because we eat late 7.30pm.

I am certainly not waiting to see if he is going to shoot up. He has noticed it as well, because some of his favorite shorts are tighter at the waist and he isn't happy about it. So he is quite happy to make some changes.

Orangeanddemons Sun 16-Aug-15 20:37:06

Oh yes, my ds was a proper chub at 10-12. Then he grew....and grew....and grew, and sort of stretched out, until he hit 6ft 5! And as thin as a lat

TheHormonalHooker Sun 16-Aug-15 20:44:19

Yes, DS1 was quite chunky in Yr6/beginning of Yr7 and he was quite aware of it. He watched what he ate all the time, wouldn't have treats and puddings etc. He shot up in Y7, went through 2 blazers, umpteen pairs of school shoes and trousers.

Anyhow, he's 20 now and in the army. He's 4th fittest in his Squadron. He's out running every night, down the gym, is one of the best swimmers and is just pure muscle.

I bet you in the next 6/9 months your DS will shoot up and his trouser legs and sleeves will be at half mast!

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 16-Aug-15 20:57:19

That was one of the biggest changes in DS1 at that age - although he was also growing in height really quickly his body shape changed completely. His shoulders became broader, he developed the start of a six-pack and his thigh muscles really bulked out. He plays a lot of sport including rugby and football and you could see the strength and power he had on the field developed enormously. He needed extra calories to fuel that growth. I don't mean crisps and chocolate, but plenty of lean protein and wholegrain carbs along with a variety of fruit and veg.

Mashtag Sun 16-Aug-15 21:01:33

DixieNormas Sun 16-Aug-15 21:02:08

Yes both of mine, I was the same

missorinoco Sun 16-Aug-15 21:09:19

My children are too young to answer this from experience, but I have a recollection that children deposit body fat prior to puberty.

Could be an old wives tale though, so happy to stand corrected.

Mashtag Mon 17-Aug-15 14:06:22

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: