Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Relinquishing parental rights

(11 Posts)
newmama91 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:38:56

If the father gives up all parental rights will he still have to pay child support?

fastdaytears Sat 15-Aug-15 18:44:54

Do you mean Parental Responsibility? If so, as far as I know no effect on CM.

newmama91 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:46:49

Basically any and all rights he may have to the baby. If he gives them all up and signs a paper saying so?

fastdaytears Sat 15-Aug-15 18:48:09

You can't have a right to a baby! But whatever he does, no child maintenance is separate so he can't get out of paying.

AnotherGirlsParadise Sat 15-Aug-15 18:51:18

As far as I know, if a birth father consents to his child being officially adopted by the mother's new partner, the adoption abdicates the birth father of all responsibility, including CM obligations.

aginghippy Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:35

Where are you? In the law of England and Wales there is no such thing as parental rights. Children have rights, parents have responsibilities.

As others have said, whether or not a parent sees a child has no bearing on their responsibility to provide financial support.

AuntieStella Sat 15-Aug-15 18:55:08

Having PR doesn’t make you liable for paying child support: if you are recognised as the biological father, you will have to pay child support – whether or not you have PR.

I think AnotherGirlsParadise is correct: if the DC is legally adopted by another person (maybe the mother's new partner) then the biological father can no longer be held liable.

Otherwise, he can be. But the other parent is not obliged to pursue him for maintenance if they do not want to. But I think they can change their mind about this until the DC's 16th birthday.

newmama91 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:56:53

I'm in England. Someone said that if the father given us parental responsibility and signs over rights they don't have to pay.
I knew it sounded wrong.

fastdaytears Sat 15-Aug-15 19:08:17

If you're saying "us" because you have a partner who wants to adopt the baby then that will mean no more CM but otherwise, baby is still entitled to support until he's an adult.

newmama91 Sat 15-Aug-15 19:11:22

Sorry that was a typo. I meant given up*

No I do not have a partner

fastdaytears Sat 15-Aug-15 19:16:01

In that case, get on the phone to the CSA and get a claim in! It's for the baby not you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: