Talk

Advanced search

any travel cots with a decent mattress?

(14 Posts)
chumbler Sat 15-Aug-15 08:47:21

cot bed won't fit in our room, but would like to keep DD with us til 6 months. been looking at travel cots and all reviews seem to comment on rubbish mattress. do I just buy it and get an extra mattress? as DD would be in it for a month or so i want to make sure it's good for her back and comfy! although she is used to very thin looking Moses basket mattress?/confused

id like one I can see in to use as a play pen after

any recommendations?

nottheOP Sat 15-Aug-15 08:50:07

Our graco one seems more padded than any others

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 15-Aug-15 08:52:35

Not ime! They all have thin mattresses that wrap around the cot for storage.

Would a normal sized cot fit in your room if a travel cot would? We bought one off ebay for £20, gave it a good clean and bought a new mattress. It'll be easier on your back not to have to stoop right down and can always be sold on again afterwards.

Orangeisthenewbanana Sat 15-Aug-15 08:54:35

We bought the extra mattress bit for our Mamas and Papas one. If your DD is using it several times a day for a month, and then for holidays afterwards, I think you would get your money's worth.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 15-Aug-15 08:55:29

I have used a travelcot with 9mo ds a few times and find a fitted sheet over the mattress, a thick blanket, then another fitted sheet over the top makes it more comfy.

Tangoandcreditcards Sat 15-Aug-15 09:00:07

We got the babyway Mimas travel cot for similar reasons. We liked it because it had a bassinet layer (we didn't use a Moses at all). It also has a zippy "hatch" so can be used as a play pen (although we didn't really).

It did need an extra mattress for sleeping, but we got the cot cheap on Amazon (2 years ago) so didn't mind spending a bit extra.

ohidoliketobe Sat 15-Aug-15 10:01:42

My mum got a graco travel cot for when my DS stays over (weekly to cover childcare, she's fabulous). We ended up getting a travel cot sized mattress for it as the wrap around thing was pitiful. That said, my DS seems to take after me and be a bit Princess and the Pea when it comes to comfort.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 15-Aug-15 10:02:11

We had DS in a baby bay maxi til 6 months quite comfortably. The mattress came from Little Green Sheep who do great quality organic mattresses (they might sell them to fit travel cots too)

Milkyway1304 Sun 16-Aug-15 00:05:07

You can get better mattresses in argos, just check dimensions of cot and you should be able to get mattress to fit.

WhereAreMyDragons Sun 16-Aug-15 08:14:19

I bought a travel cot mattress off a baby store in ebay a few years ago for about a tenner I think. It out lasted the travel cot.

superbfairywren Mon 17-Aug-15 07:26:26

[http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-travel-cot-enhancer/p231855337#page_loaded] We have this mattress enhancer for our joie commuter travel cot and dd naps in it in the house downstairs and sleeps well in it when we have been away. It also had a bassinet level we used until she could sit up by herself and a click on changing mat which has come in handy too.

FairyPenguin Mon 17-Aug-15 07:37:13

We had a Graco travel cot and bought a proper mattress for it from ToysRUs.

sleepyhead Mon 17-Aug-15 07:39:45

We bought a separate mattress from Kiddicare for ours. It wasn't expensive and ds2 slept on it until around 8 months.

muddledsheep Mon 17-Aug-15 07:42:15

We bought a self inflating camping sleep mat to fit ours. With a blanket over the top then a sheet ds was very comfy and snug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now