When do mealtimes become less messy?

(9 Posts)
basilflower Thu 13-Aug-15 14:34:01

My ds is about to turn 1. We've been doing baby led weaning with him. Mealtimes are still very messy, he throws a lot of food on the floor. In your experience when does this ease off and mealtimes become less messy?

Imeg Thu 13-Aug-15 14:37:00

Watching with interest - mine is 17 months and still a terrible mess I'm afraid, he's just learnt to feed himself with a spoon which is obviously messy but he also throws food on the floor when he's full....

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 13-Aug-15 14:40:17

If dh is anything to go by....
Late 50's?

trilbydoll Thu 13-Aug-15 14:43:56

Since DD turned 2, maybe just before, I noticed that she could eat a yoghurt without getting it everywhere. I think it requires concentration on her part, but she can do it. We haven't used bibs for ages, maybe 18mo ish, but initially that was because she pulled them off!

neversleepagain Thu 13-Aug-15 20:07:38

Meal times were disastrous here with our twins. At 2 it got better and at 2.5 there was very little mess. They are almost three now and they rarely mess on themselves/table.

TheAuthoress Thu 13-Aug-15 20:10:10

My DD has just turned two and it's only getting better now. She ate her whole dinner tonight with her fork, up until now it's been grabbing with hands for half the dinner and dropping stuff all over the floor.

basilflower Thu 13-Aug-15 20:57:11

Looks like we've got a little way to go then! shock

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 13-Aug-15 20:58:43

DD is 20 months and are a yoghurt without getting it everywhere for the first time today! Broccoli everywhere though. I think it will be a while yet before ours are less messy!

Littlef00t Fri 14-Aug-15 15:49:48

My wonderful childminder taught dd at about 14mo to hand her food/cup etc when she didn't want it rather than throw it on the floor. I can even get her to put things in the bin now at 17mo. At 16mo we removed the mat from the floor as she rarely drops food. Things are still quite messy on her tray/table as she's eating with her hands but starting to master using cutlery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now