Talk

Advanced search

Moving from Moses basket into own room

(9 Posts)
Chocolatecakefan Tue 11-Aug-15 17:09:02

What age did you move your child into their own room?

My daughter is 15 weeks and has basically outgrown her Moses basket. The last two nights in particular I've noticed she has ended up with her head touching the top of the basket by shunting herself up during her sleep (when we put her in, there is about 6ins to spare)

I was hoping to keep her in with us as long as possible but it seems I'm going to have to move her soon despite guidance for 6 months. We have a cotbed ready for her, but there is no hope it will fit into our room (to be honest we can only just fit the Moses basket with us!). I do have a video baby monitor and also a sensor in her nursery but I guess I just feel nervous because there is so much emphasis on the 6 months guidance....

For the last 2-3 weeks I've been putting her to bed in her own cotbed where she quite happily falls asleep, and then when we go to bed about an hour or two later, we pick her up and move her into our room so I have no worries about her being able to fall asleep in there.

I guess my biggest gripe is that new builds these days aren't designed to have big enough bedrooms for a bed plus cot to last 6 months grrr! We can literally fit our bed and 2 x bedside tables (one of which had to be moved out to fit the Moses basket!!)

Someone reassure me!!!

Whoami24601 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:20:15

I moved my DD as soon as she slept through, which was about 6 weeks shock! Didn't know about the guidelines then. Am planning on doing the same with currently 14 wo DS. He's now sleeping 8-6 so I don't anticipate it being much longer. 6 months is the ideal, but it doesn't work for everybody. I have babies who are noisy sleepers, so sharing a room doesn't do us any favours! Or if not could you look at getting a crib? They're bigger than a Moses basket, but not as big as a cot.

carriebrody Tue 11-Aug-15 17:22:19

Can a cot or travel cot go at the end of the bed? Apparently 2-4 months is the biggest risk period for SIDS so you might want to hold out a little longer.

Chocolatecakefan Tue 11-Aug-15 17:26:53

Sorry Carrie, as already mentioned, we can't fit anything else in.

I did find a crib on Argos for £30 but by the time I also factored in a new mattress and bedding, it was coming up to £50-60 which seems daft for something which would only be used for about 6 weeks. I just can't justify the expense.

I'm hoping to last at least another 10 days - 2 weeks which would take us up to 4 months

Whoami24601 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:35:23

Could you ask on freecycle/ freegle? I got my crib from there for free!

Chocolatecakefan Tue 11-Aug-15 17:36:49

I've had a look for the past few weeks but nothing is coming up unfortunately

Whoami24601 Tue 11-Aug-15 18:02:11

Put a request out. You could even ask for a loan. Someone might have one they're not currently using, but don't want rid of

Kent1982 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:44:55

I'm sure all will be fine. I'm saying that but when ds goes to his own room I suspect I will be sleeping on the floor at side of his cot like a crack pot. you seem to have the monitor all sorted and I'm sure the rooms pretty close by.

BoeBarlow Wed 12-Aug-15 21:57:53

We had the exact same issue with DD. She outgrew her basket at about 16 weeks so we had to move her into her cot in her room as we had no room for the cot in our room. She's 6 months now and absolutely find by the way. Totally settled in her own room. I worried too about the guideline but there was no other option for us. Video baby monitor helped, plus the door to her room is right next to the door to our room. Expect a few sleepless nights, even if the baby is sleeping through smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now