Talk

Advanced search

Too early!

(8 Posts)
MissTwister Tue 11-Aug-15 07:21:24

My 5 week old keeps waking up at 5ish, asking to feed but then not really feeding but not wanting to sleep again until she naps about 9am or later. This is exhausting considering she's still feeding at 12:30 and at about 3:30. I can find advice on helping bigger babies sleep later but any idea on this?

Sirzy Tue 11-Aug-15 07:24:01

I think for now your best adapting your routine to her when she is so little. So go to bed around 9 get a few hours sleep then before the first bottle.

MissTwister Tue 11-Aug-15 07:38:51

I went to bed at 8:30 last night!

Singleandproud Tue 11-Aug-15 07:43:58

They aren't supposed to sleep later they have tiny bellies that empty often and lots of babies get up at 5 as normal wake up time. As suggested above change your routine to match theirs go to bed as early as you can so you are resting if not sleeping and sleep as much as you can during the day. It is a phase and it will pass. If you have a partner get them to look after baby at 5am so you can catch up on sleep.

If you choose to use artificial milk they tend to sleep a bit longer as it takes longer to digest the milk, breast fed babies wake up more but the hormones in breast milk mean you fall into a deeper sleep quicker, also you don't need to wake up completely to make up the bottle.

MissTwister Tue 11-Aug-15 18:16:56

It's hard as she feeds most of the evening so often going to bed before 10ish isn't an option. And she's not good at daytime sleeping either or I would nap more then. I can nap for Britain!

Partner can't do 5am really as he gets up for work at 6 and has his main sleep between 4-6 whilst helping me at other feeds. Also from 5am she just cries for boob so he wouldn't be able to provide this!

Singleandproud Tue 11-Aug-15 19:59:22

Can you co sleep? I used to just go to bed at 8:30 and watch tv while she fed and dozed. I'm a single parent though so had no partner to spend time with.

Also sleeping during the day will help her sleep at night as she is probably over tired so you need to find a way of helping her sleep during the day. Whether that's trips out in the buggy etc until she falls asleep and when she is sleeping don't run around doing chores it's your time to rest. You could also try a sling she may sleep better attached to you.

helloelo Tue 11-Aug-15 20:45:32

5am to 9am without sleeping at 5wo is waaaaay too much. At this age, she should be back to sleep within 90min max of waking really, she is overtired.

These schedules here helped me
This video about sleeping cues here was great too.

By the way, my 7mo DS still wakes up at 1am and 6am. As he's sleeping 5hrs straight, he's considered as "sleeping through'. You might need to adjust expectations, see evidence based sleeping resource here

Goog luck!

MissTwister Wed 12-Aug-15 18:01:22

Thanks all. I guess she naps a bit between those times but it's mostly 20-30 minutes so not time enough for me to sleep. It's her lost unsettled time of the day and she makes a lot of grunting and wind type

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now