Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime for 6 month old

(9 Posts)
Roseybee10 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:26:32

Struggling with dd2 to manage feed and bed times to meet her needs.

She generally takes a milk feed every 4.5-5 hours as she's just not interested before then. She takes around 5-6oz a feed. We've had a lot of issues with feeding due to reflux and bottles are still tricky at times. (Now on formula).

Typical day looks like this
Night feed between 4-5am.
Wakes around 7.15-7.45 and has feed around 7-35-8am (not interested any earlier).
Naps from 9-10am
Feed around 12-12.45pm
Nap from 1.00-2.30pm
Feed around 4.30

Then the problems start. She is exhausted by 6pm so she often naps while we eat dinner then takes her last feed around 8pm and bed around 8.30.
However she's started to fight the late nap so I'm feeling like I need to
move her bedtime forward to 7pm.
I just have no idea how to fit all her feeds in.
I know we really need to drop a feed somewhere but I'm not sure which one to drop. If she would just take her feeds 4 hourly or drop the night feed it would be much easier.

Any suggestions on how to tweak it so she's not exhausted before her last feed. She's currently screamed for half an hour, refused her bottle even though she's hungry as she's too tired to take it and has now fallen asleep on me so I'm going to need to dream feed the rest.

Artandco Mon 10-Aug-15 20:28:48

I would add a third nap, she still tiny. Nap 9-10am, 1-2.30pm, then 4.30-5.15pm. Bedtime around 8pm

Roseybee10 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:34:12

She does fight naps a lot. I can usually manage her first nap ok but we usually go out in afternoon and she's too nosey to sleep if we're out lol (can't stay in with dd1 as she goes stir crazy). Will try moving naps forward tomorrow and see how it goes.
Also thinking about giving her less at her 4pm feed so she's hungry earlier for her last feed.

notascooby007 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:54:04

If you can try and feed every 3.5 hrs. My ds is similar age I start his bedtime around 7 bath bottle cuddle bed sleep by 7.30, with him no matter what time he's had previous bottle whether it be 4.30 or 6 he'll still always take a bottle at 7 because that's what he's used to happening in his routine. I'd start your bedtime earlier see what happens

Roseybee10 Mon 10-Aug-15 20:58:46

She just isn't interested in having any milk until she's completely starving. I don't even feel like I can cut her feeds down to make her want another sooner as she's not taking very much (5oz) for a six month old.
I'm hoping when weaning takes off that she'll drop a bottle and it will be easier then.
She used to take a bottle at 7.30pm no matter what but she's gotten really fussy with her feeding again for the past few weeks - not sure if her reflux is flaring up again or not.
It would be ideal if she would just take a feed even every 4 hours without a battle. She's a little diva lol.

purplemurple1 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:01:30

Ah I was going to say give solids after the 12 feed and push the afternoon nap later and then just give one feed and an early bed.
Mine both went through a phase of back to back ing bottles in the evening so taking 10 to 20oz in one prolonged feed before bed.

Roseybee10 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:10:10

She's not very interested in solids yet unfortunately. Doing blw so she's just playing with it just now which is fine. Think that will definitely help once she's taking a lunch.
I do worry about how little she takes milk wise for her age but it's always been a battle to get her to take anything so I've kind of just accepted she's not a big eater and stopped trying to coax her to eat more - she'd probably go 6 hours between feeds otherwise lol.

purplemurple1 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:12:31

Even playing with some bread or veg could stretch out to the next nap. Might be worth a try with a light eater.

Roseybee10 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:48:13

Yeh might give that a try tomorrow thanks. Or even just a snack bottle around 4pm like 2-3oz.
Will see how things go tomorrow. Have to admit the sleepy snuggles tonight were nice lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now