Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and teeth - ouch! Are nipple shields the answer?

(8 Posts)
Penguin13 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:57:01

DD is 8 mo and has recently had her top 2 front teeth through. The bottom ones didn't really cause any bother with feeding barring one or two bites when the teething pain was bad. Since the top two teeth have been properly through she's not actually biting but feeding on the RHS has been getting progressively more painful to the point where I now wince and grit my teeth every time she feeds on that side.

I thought at first that her teeth were digging in but think it may be that DD has adjusted her latch to avoid putting pressure on her painful gums. I have tried adjusting the latch but even when I start off with a good one with her mouth open nice and wide it's like she pulls back to a less deep latch again.

I know that nipple shields won't help with the latch position but has anyone successfully introduced them for a short time this late on? I think the sore bit on my nipple just needs a break to heal.

Any other advice gratefully received! Has anyone else been through similar and successfully resolved the problem? I had some really fab one to one help with my latch when DD was tiny - does anyone know if I can still go along to a bf clinic for assistance?

seaweed123 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:20:51

I had a similar issue. I found positioning made a big difference - lying down to feed was far less painful. I never tried shields though.

Penguin13 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:49:05

Oh no! Am on the mobile app and think I have somehow posted this twice blush will ask for one to be removed!

Thanks for your reply seaweed.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Mon 10-Aug-15 11:21:02

Ooh I remember this happening to me. I ended up with quite a bad sore around my nipple where dd had bit me.

I used Lansinoh HPA Lanolin Cream. You can leave it on whilst breastfeeding. It helps with the pain and heals the sore.

Penguin13 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:14:27

Thanks Enjoy that's exactly what I have. Thought I was past the breastfeeding trials! Yep going to break the lansinoh back out - love thst stuff!

Puffinella Mon 10-Aug-15 12:19:34

I had this too. DS didn't like nipple shields, so that didn't work for us, but lots of Lanisoh cream did improve things. His latch readjusted quite quickly (after a few days, I think), and it was better. Unfortunately I didn't start using the cream until things were quite bad, and it took a couple of weeks to heal - using it earlier would have helped, I think.

And I wouldn't hesitate to go to a breastfeeding clinic if you know of one, or a La Leche League meeting if there's one nearby.

Penguin13 Mon 10-Aug-15 13:34:06

Thanks Puffin. Yes I don't know why using Lansinoh didn't occur to me till Enjoy mentioned it. I thought now the teeth were through that DD's latch would have adjusted but I have a horrible feeling teeth 5+6 are on their way as she is super sleepy today which is usually a teething sign for us.

Penguin13 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:56:28

Omg sweet relief! Thank you Enjoy for reminding me about Lansinoh. Not pain free but sooooooooo much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now