Talk

Advanced search

How to give vitamins

(13 Posts)
mrsmilkymoo Mon 10-Aug-15 07:45:18

DD has just turned a year old, and up until this point I had been giving her vitamins twice a day with a syringe (WellBaby, I think they are called). Anyway, as she's now 12 months, I bought the next stage up in vitamins, but she now needs 5ml once a day, which seems huge compared to the tiny amount she was getting. The instructions say that for 1-3 year olds, the vitamin should be mixed in their usual milk or juice and that only 3+ can take them straight from the spoon.

However, DD still breastfeeds, and only drinks a little water. Any ideas how I can get the vitamins into her? If I put them in her cup of water she'd waste most of them (and if I used less water, she'd find it hard to drink as it's harder to get the water out of the bottom of her cup).

rainbowunicorn Mon 10-Aug-15 09:37:21

There really is no need for a healthy child to have added vitamins, everything they need should be able to come from diet by this stage so I really would not worry about it too much.

pocketsized Mon 10-Aug-15 09:48:04

Can you mix with Yoghurt and then feed after you've given it to her?

seaweed123 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:18:22

I'm not sure that's true RainbowUnicorn? My HV said I still needed to be giving DS (16 months) vitamins for Vit D, since he doesn't get any formula.

I don't have any advice really, but I'll be checking the instructions on my vits, as I'm still giving the WellBaby (orange flavour) ones (with a spoon). I hope it's ok to still give him, he reminds me every night by pointing at the bottle and saying "tasty".

mrsmilkymoo Mon 10-Aug-15 10:18:57

rainbow even vitamin d? We live in Scotland and I take vitamin d myself, as I understand it's not possible to get enough naturally. I am also concerned about iron as she doesn't seem to like eating meat.

pocket she's not a huge fan of yoghurt but hummus on the other hand...could try that!

mrsmilkymoo Mon 10-Aug-15 10:20:17

seaweed I'm wondering if there is actually no harm in giving them by spoon but maybe the manufacturers thought it might be tricky with a younger child?

teaandkittens Mon 10-Aug-15 10:28:59

I've been giving DD (12 months) the well baby vitamins since she was 6 months as she too doesn't drink formula and I noticed that the instructions had changed on the bottle! It used to be fine to give them the vitamins "neat" on a spoon so I figure it'll be ok to keep doing so...I doubt DD would drink them from a cup either! She loves them- points at the bottle saying more more!

bringmelaughter Mon 10-Aug-15 10:32:00

Vitamins are recommended www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx It is practically impossible to get enough vitamin D from sunlight all year round in the UK and a 'healthy' diet won't give sufficient vitamin D. Low vitamin D is being linked to more and more conditions and it's very hard to have too much.

What brand are you using? I use well baby www.vitabiotics.com/wellbaby/liquid/ which is taken from syringe or spoon until age 5 so no need to faff about with mixing in food.

bringmelaughter Mon 10-Aug-15 10:33:25

Oops sorry skim read and didn't see that it's wellbaby. Weird they've changed instructions.

pocketsized Mon 10-Aug-15 10:53:26

It's probably that they are better absorbed if "diluted" in the stomach. I can't see it makes much difference if that is by giving a spoonful and immediately feeding, or by adding the vitamins to the feed first. I do a similar thing with any dissolvable tablets (which I hate taking) - dissolve in the smallest possible amount of water so can take in a couple of sips, then immediately drink a glass of plain (much more palatable) water!

rainbowunicorn Mon 10-Aug-15 12:57:01

Ah apologies the advice has changed since my youngest was a baby. In that case I would try mixing it with yogurt or fromage frais this was the only way I could get mine to take medicine when he was little. I just made sure it was something I knew he would like so that it all got eaten.

Joneseygirl77 Mon 10-Aug-15 14:18:55

Another one here doing well kid off a spoon- I've never noticed that on the instructions either!

Buglife Mon 10-Aug-15 18:21:28

This is timely smile I got DS his first vitamins as he's going on cows milk next week and was think he rarely finishes a bottle so how would I make sure he got them, and that it would be much easier to give with a spoon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now