Talk

Advanced search

Ambidextrous 5 year old

(11 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Sun 09-Aug-15 09:51:55

My son has always used his left hand to hold a pencil , everything else he does with his right , cutting , playing games , tennis he bats with his right hand . . Anyone else have this???

KatyN Sun 09-Aug-15 10:11:37

My husband is like this.. He's not 5 mind. Writes with his left, pretty much everything else is right.

We're watching our 3 year old closely to see if he has any preference.

Puffthemagicfanjo Sun 09-Aug-15 10:32:46

My mum has this. She writes with her left hand, but does everything else with her right. It's called mixed laterality.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 09-Aug-15 10:34:20

I write with my right hand but do everything else with my left.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 09-Aug-15 12:08:25

It's so funny , I love it. Glad it's fairly common although wish he could write With his right . Looks so awkward trying to right left handed but I guess that's what he's happy doing x

Doublebubblebubble Sun 09-Aug-15 19:48:31

I'm ambidextrous. My dh is right handed my 5 year old dd is looking like she's going to be like me - although she has always preferred right to left - I had a word with her teacher (year r ) as when she holds a pen in her right hand she holds it like she would if it were in her left and vice versa, and she said that they will find/choose what they want or that's easiest for them. I'm not concerned either way x

YeOldeTrout Sun 09-Aug-15 20:11:05

Oh wow, DS2 has this. Cross-dominance says Wikip. DS didn't settle which hand to write with until half way thru yr1.

Interesting that it has an association with ADHD coz DS has behaviour & emotional problems (but not ADHD).

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 09-Aug-15 20:18:44

Me too. Come from a family with a lot of left handers. I write with my right, although I can also write with my left, and I do everything else left handed.

MissTwister Sun 09-Aug-15 21:46:47

I do this. Never really thought about it and makes life much easier I guess!

MintChocAddict Sun 09-Aug-15 21:55:25

I'm the same. I write with my left hand but do everything else with my right hand.
It's actually a really good thing as there's no faffing around with left handed implements, swapping cutlery etc in a mainly right handed world. I know some proper lefties who have to do all that.
The only drawback about writing with the left hand is the permanent ink smudge mark from the bottom of the pinkie downwards! wink

2tired2bewitty Sun 09-Aug-15 21:56:42

My dd (also 5) is like this, and will change hands part way through an activity. I think she will probably settle on one hand or the other eventually though.

My dad on the other hand (see what I did there grin) was born left handed which was frowned upon during the 50s so had it forced out of him. He now writes really beautifully with his right hand, but can't use both hands at the same time - for example, he can't hold a saucepan handle and stir the contents at the same time confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now