Talk

Advanced search

how much do you play with your 5mo?

(7 Posts)
chumbler Sat 08-Aug-15 20:12:06

groups have finished for summer so we're at home much more. what do you and your babies do? I play with mine and do tummy time but sometimes I leave her to entertain herself whilst I do chores - is that OK?!

LaceyLee Sat 08-Aug-15 20:21:57

I'm in a similar position to you but mine is 7 months. She is quite happy to be left with her toys for a bit while I get on with things.... When I do play with her I tend to sing songs with actions and dances, kiss her tummy/blow raspberries. She loves peekaboo as well... Am going to try some messy play tomorrow, big bowls or trays of water to splash in and also jelly in different colour a apparently they can play with that! Sounds quite fun. Interested to hear other ideas, I don't think I do enough.

Buglife Sat 08-Aug-15 20:33:01

God yeah it's fine to get on with stuff. Talk about what you are doing, play music, jump about a bit and you'll be incredibly entertaining! My DS figured out loads of stuff playing 'alone'. Some time reading, some tummy time, lots of kissing and blowing on tummies and laughing together is great but in between a few spells of letting them take it all in and look at stuff and just learn how to use their hands etc is fine. And everything is learning and interesting. DS is nearly 1 year now and he can sit happily shuffling around and playing by himself still although the kamikaze cruising means I can't leave him alone for a second (sat on the floor poised to catch!) and almost long for that baby gurgling under his baby gym and swatting at toys while I cooked dinner!

callamia Sat 08-Aug-15 20:37:11

It's totally ok. Go out for a bit, lie about in the park, make dinner with her in a sling or on the floor, just talk to her lots - that's enough most of the time.

purplemurple1 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:40:40

Never tbh she lays on the floor,sits in her nest or the high chair while I do jobs and talk or sing at her.
Her brother constantly harasses her with kisses though so that's something I suppose.

chumbler Sun 09-Aug-15 00:35:41

oh glad people are similar to me! I just feel like I need to constantly entertain her but I guess her just watching and listening to me is interesting anyway!

imwithspud Mon 10-Aug-15 11:35:16

It's perfectly fine, I feel similar with my 10 week old DD2 at the moment. I feel like she's at that age where once I've fed, changed, burped and done a bit of tummy time with her I don't really know what else to do with her! I tend to put her on her playmat or in her swing whilst I tend to DD1 or do jobs, I do feel guilty sometimes though - like I'm not doing enough to help her development - mum guilt I call it.

I much prefer it when they're sitting up and start becoming more interactive. I don't remember feeling like this with DD1 but you do tend to forget quite a lot from the baby days! I think it's good for them to spend some time just 'being' otherwise they end up over stimulated and cranky. It's also good for them to learn how to entertain themselves as there will be times as they get older where you can't always give them your 100% undivided attention.

As long as you do actually interact with baby and they seem perfectly happy and content then I would try not to worry. Baby will let you know if they need your attention!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now