Talk

Advanced search

grunting baby

(13 Posts)
weelamb123 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:13:27

hi there

my baby is almost 4 weeks old. she sleeps very soundly through the day but at night after feeds she rarely settles and constantly grunts and snorts and moves about. i am presuming its wind but now worried it might be something more serious.

she cries when she is hungry or when she has wind but is mostly content.

should i see doctor just to put mind at rest?

xxx

quesadillas Sat 08-Aug-15 19:17:29

My DS did that, which really surprised me, I wasn't expecting it. It lasted a few weeks, health visitors didn't seem to think it was a problem. He fed well and slept ok, well, sort of slept ok. Get it checked out if you're worried though.

BlueThursday Sat 08-Aug-15 19:18:27

Mine was a right noisy sleeper in the early days grunting and snuffling

Once DH were lying just ready to drift off and DD started her grunting, cleared her throat as if she were about to make a speech then imitate the loudest trump ever grin

BlueThursday Sat 08-Aug-15 19:18:38

Emit

ThursdayLast Sat 08-Aug-15 19:19:51

IME this is normal.
It freaked me out too though!
They grow out of it.

Congrats on your baby!

NickyEds Sat 08-Aug-15 21:16:57

Ds did this until he was around 8 weeks. Dd is 3 weeks now and the grunting has started. I think it's just a gut development thing, they'll cry if in pain or hungry.

Natedogg Sat 08-Aug-15 21:21:42

Normal! All the ante-natal classes I did and NOONE mentioned how loud babies can be. Felt like I was sleeping on a nature reserve half the time. I was worried like you, some of the sounds were ungodly.

It might be a bit of wind too, but definitely normal.

HeyMicky Sat 08-Aug-15 21:25:06

DD2 is now 14 weeks old but was a super grunter until about 8 weeks. It sounded like she was straining and heaving at night. Not connected to wind, gas, reflux or anything else. Just grunty. It went away almost overnight.

Ankleswingers Sat 08-Aug-15 21:31:11

Congratulations OP smile

This happened to me when DS1 was born. DH and I were totally freaked out by this as DS would grunt really loudly.
We were so worried that DH and I actually took turns to stay awake all night to watch DS and make sure he was okay.
I know ( you must be thinking we were mad!!) but it was PFB and it never even entered our heads to get an angel care monitor until day 4 of no/ little sleep and we couldn't carry on like it before we bought one! DH and I laugh about this now but at the time we were v concerned.

Try not to worry OP, it is perfectly normal.

YeOldeTrout Sat 08-Aug-15 21:46:50

Thought they all grunted a lot.

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Sun 09-Aug-15 22:50:50

Dd1 never did this but dd2, 6 weeks, is a proper gruntee/snorter. If you didn't know better you'd think a piglet was in the room. Thankfully more daytime than night so at least get some sleep.

avocadotoast Sun 09-Aug-15 22:58:20

Mine does this too! After I'd fed her in the early hours a few weeks back she made a noise so loud I nearly shot out of bed. How she doesn't wake herself up is beyond me...

Theas18 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:02:49

Hang on. Yes it may well be normal but for medics the term " grunting " has a particular meaning.

You may well mean just loud baby noises but look at this, and if it's like the "uh ....uh....uh" with each out breath in the 1st video get baby checked out.

Just part of the " you don't know the medical qualifications of ransoms on the Internet " (or mine I know) warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now