Talk

Advanced search

Suncream making son's eczema worse

(16 Posts)
TigerLily666 Sat 08-Aug-15 13:58:04

Am so frustrated. My son gets eczema on his chin, cheeks and behind his ears and i've noticed that when he is at nursery and its a sunny day and they plaster on the suncream it seems to (a) bring him out in spots and (b) make his eczema worse. So fed up because just got it under control and we are both struggling with it again

Can anyone recommend a high factor suncream that doesn't seem to make eczema worse? I have tried a few of the big brands - Nivea, Ambre Solaire etc and they seem OK initially and then ....

HarlettOScara Sat 08-Aug-15 14:03:47

The GP should be able to prescribe you some that is more suitable for eczema. Ultra Sun or something similar.

or you might find the zinc based sunblock sticks better than lotions. Easier to apply too. My 3 year old can pretty much do it herself.

Cookiecake Sat 08-Aug-15 14:03:51

My DS was exactly the same, he seems to be a bit better now. We used sudocrem suncream which was the only one at one point that wouldn't make eczema worse.

Stillyummy Sat 08-Aug-15 14:11:40

I would try sudocrem too. It is a compleat block and lasts 24 hours (or at least it does on a horses nose).

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 08-Aug-15 14:12:31

We use ultrasun for the boy. He has nasty eczema. It's the only one he can have, all high street brands make him swell up, he looks like a puffer fish poor thing. It's not cheap but is worth it. You can get it prescription but for ease, I get it from Tesco sometimes.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 08-Aug-15 14:17:36

Try Sunsense. Their standard one is pretty gentle, and they do an extra gentle one too..

TigerLily666 Sat 08-Aug-15 14:18:05

Never thought of going to GP to ask for something. Mind you GP did say at start that suncream may make his eczema worse.

claireabell1987 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:28:33

I used ambre solaire for baby factor 50 on my 8 month old on holiday along with her ususal excema cream and her excema vanished! it seems to be very moisturising.

www.amazon.co.uk/Garnier-Ambre-Solaire-Shade-Protection/dp/B00IA2V13U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1439061907&sr=8-6&keywords=baby+sun+cream

Wolfiefan Sat 08-Aug-15 20:33:04

My DS is allergic to Ambre Solaire. We use soltan.

SecretRed Sat 08-Aug-15 20:36:44

I used factor 50 p20 on my ds whilst on holiday. The cream based ones usually make his eczema worse but it seemed to improve loads in the sun.

CalmYoBadSelf Sat 08-Aug-15 20:42:24

Some GPs still prescribe suncream but don't be surprised if they refuse. Apparently NICE guidelines give specific conditions for which it should be prescribed and eczema is not one of them. It often improves with sun so plastering on cream can not only be irritating him but also stopping that improvement.

Lots of GPs now tell patients to buy suncream as it is often just a case of trial and error which ones suit

WonkyPonky Sat 08-Aug-15 20:42:30

Vichy capital soleil for kids is often recommended for kids with eczema.

GallopingFoxley Sat 08-Aug-15 20:44:29

My son is almost 9 with severe eczema and I've never put sun cream on him, bar trips abroad when he's in a pool in shorts and even then we would be sensible and avoid midday sun etc etc

I provided a doctors note to his nursery when he was little saying no sun cream to be applied and always sent him in a loose t shirt and a legionnaires cap.

He has never once even gone slightly red, let alone had sunburn. It's another option to consider anyway - you don't HAVE to cover kids in chemicals if you are careful and take sensible precautions

saintlyjimjams Sat 08-Aug-15 20:45:12

We use hats, SPF clothing & zinc on nose, ears etc.

saintlyjimjams Sat 08-Aug-15 20:46:24

So same as galloping really.

SquidgersMummy Sun 09-Aug-15 00:15:46

I was asking a dermatologist recently about this: he said suncream are like emollients, there's no one particular brand that's better it's just trial and error and expense which works for your DC. Again, I use long sleeved t shirts, leggings, floppy hat and full body surfer type suit on the beach as much as possible. Perfumes are particularly bad for itchiness so watch out for them. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now