Talk

Advanced search

Baby allergic to baby oil?

(5 Posts)
Mamabear14 Sat 08-Aug-15 13:53:53

I have a 12 day old DD, who I have been told not to properly bath as she has an unhealed umbilical granuloma. She recently had light therapy for jaundice and it's really dried out her tummy, I massaged in baby oil as instructed by midwife but she's come out in a rash. I don't really like the idea of using olive oil on her so is there any recommendations for all natural products I can use on her skin please? Thank you smile

AGBforever Sat 08-Aug-15 14:01:38

We put some coconut oil in the bath as DD2 had v dry skin in the early days too, and DD1 is allergic to all Johnsons stuff which is not uncommon unfortunately. You don't need much coconut oil, it leaves the skin lovely and soft.

Micah Sat 08-Aug-15 14:03:16

Why not olive oil? Cheap and convenient.

Mine reacted to baby oil/sudocrem and petroleum products in general.

Neals yard do an amazing baby oil. I use it in my bath too- doesn't leave that dry feeling.

I always bought neals yard, which I think is olive oil based, or burts bees (beeswax base) products. Expensive, but worth it imo.

You could try the much hyped coconut oil too. Wasn't around when mine were little. Cheap at least.

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 08-Aug-15 14:05:54

I agree with Coconut oil. You can buy big jars of it virgin quite cheaply from health food shops and amazon. It's usually solid but take seconds to melt in your hand. My boy has eczema and it doesn't affect it.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 08-Aug-15 14:07:28

Yes, go coconut oil or cocoa butter. It's not unusual for sensitive skin to react to petroleum based oil products (steer clear of Vaseline as well).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now