Talk

Advanced search

feeling really upset right now from what I've seen

(13 Posts)
jessica3692 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:46:25

I don't mean to upset anyone else here.. I recorded and just watched 24 in prison (I think it's called that) and it was about monsters that download indecent images of children. One of the men interviewed was beyond sickening. He wasn't even imprisoned. I felt terrible afterwards so quickly put on This is England 88 which had also been previously recorded. The start showed video footage of a starving child. Very young. It was horrific. And then mothers cradling their babies on the ground - shot dead (both Africa I believe). I know this stuff happens. But hearing about the downloading and then seeing clips.. I just feel so upset. I've got a 6m daughter and although the stuff upset me before now I feel a million times worse. I am dreading when she will no longer be in her pram and she could be walking past a monster... or when we move into a ground floor flat soon.. I can't bare the thought of her being in her own room.. ever. I feel like I'd be unsafe on ground floor. Even with locked doors and windows people can break in. Perhaps I'm being erratic. Crazy. But I'm terrified. I don't want to be an over protective mother but after having my daughter the world seems a whole lot scarier.

and as for the starving children. It just devastates me to see it. Hubby response was a bit of a cuddle and "shut up being silly" but I don't feel any better for it! I just feel scared. In her cot at the end of her bed doesn't feel close enough right now.

can anyone tell me to stop being crazy.. silly? Nicely though... I'm feeling a little sensitive atm..

Thank you :'(

VerityWaves Fri 07-Aug-15 22:50:02

You are feeling empathy ! Which makes you a sensitive and caring person.

thornrose Fri 07-Aug-15 22:50:26

I think it's fairly normal to feel like this with a tiny baby. You feel very raw and over protective, the world can seem like a scary place.

You'll start to feel less intense and worried as time goes by. Believe it or not you will one day be happy to get some peace away from your small child, even if it's just in another room.

StealthPolarBear Fri 07-Aug-15 22:51:32

Op all those things are normal to feel upset about but not to the degree of anxiety that you are suffering. You have a young dd, please talk to your health visitor or doctor.

StealthPolarBear Fri 07-Aug-15 22:53:05

Feeling nsafe in your own home is not usual imo.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems as though these issues are taking over a lot of your thoughts. If that's not the case then as the others say it's probably just normal for a new parent.

TheWanderingUterus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:53:13

Stop being crazy smile and stop watching these things!

I watch happy YouTube videos when I am struggling and unhappy - Bill Bailey, silly cats/dogs, pregnancy reveals, soldier homecomings etc. I try and avoid things that make me nervous and sad.

You do sound a little over anxious about your child. I suffered badly from anxiety after the birth of my children and needed some help to get through it. One of my issues was excessive worrying and intrusive thoughts.

jessica3692 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:03:08

I felt better just for writing this post and yes I do need to stop watching these videos!

I think you're all right though. Most the time I feel fine but when I feel anxious I feel really anxious. Is it common that I shut all my windows before I go to bed? Although that could stem from a nutty neighbour trying to get through our bathroom window once when I was pregnant (turns out he skipped his meds and thought we needed saving).

I also get the intrusive thoughts.. especially at night or after she's woke for a feed. I

Thanks for your kind responses. I feel less crazy now but also certain I should have a chat with doc or someone.

StealthPolarBear Fri 07-Aug-15 23:05:47

Good for you, please do. It's common and it's preventing uou enjoying your baby as much as you should.
Yes I think I'd shut the windows too - that must have been scary!

ThisIsClemFandango Fri 07-Aug-15 23:10:29

Agree with pps - it's time to take a break from sad and distressing programmes for now OP.
Mine is nearly 1 and I struggle to watch anything that involves death or accidents or children being hurt.. Even adverts about overworked donkeys have to be turned off at the moment.
I figure it's a new mum thing. All your priorities have shifted and you have a ton more responsibility. I find it scary and overwhelming too, sometimes.
I think it will pass eventually but I think if you're not feeling right in yourself you should talk to your doctor. Hope you're ok flowersbrew

squizita Sat 08-Aug-15 13:16:45

Post natal anxiety is very common. Hormones plus a new baby are a heavy mix.

If you find the fear and worry don't lift do talk to your hv.

I get like this when I read about accidents etc. It can be quite limiting as I have to really force myself not to be over cautious.

Kent1982 Sat 08-Aug-15 15:17:22

I feel sad too when I see children suffering I just think send a couple to me I could look after them and make them happy.

I do wonder what kind of world it is and how I can protect cheeky bambino without making him scared of everything and everyone. Since I had the baby I'm certainly more sensitive and alert to issues. I suspect this is the same for you and all mums

Bedsheets4knickers Sat 08-Aug-15 19:52:25

I watched a documentary on James bulger not long after having my son . It sent me demented . I don't watch anything anymore that could upset me . It's to heart braking x

Sootgremlin Sat 08-Aug-15 20:07:55

Think it's a good idea to talk over with doctor. I had terrible anxiety after dc1, I didn't realise how bad until I had dc2 and looked back.

Aside from that though, I dislike watching or hearing about anything violent since having young children, and if it involves children, forget about it. I think it's natural to an extent once you have a baby, especially in the early months. Their vulnerability sensitises you to the risks in the world.

There was case of child neglect in the news while I was pregnant and I just couldn't even hear the child's name without having an extreme emotional reaction to it. And that was something that was never going to effect my child, but since having kids I feel so much more empathetic. I always was, but not in the same visceral way, where it would plague my thoughts. A couple of years in I deal with things better, but I still don't seek this stuff out if I can help it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now