Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Baby pooing a lot

(9 Posts)
sarah00001 Fri 07-Aug-15 02:26:18

Hi, I'm a first time mum to a month old daughter. She's a big baby, weighed 9 pounds 10 at birth and is now 10 and a half pounds. She eats a lot and poos a lot - she poos after every feed and in-between feeds and I must be changing at least 10 nappies a day and find it so tiring (I'm a single mum).

I understand that it is often the case that as they get older babies poo less. When does this normally happen? I need some light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks, Sarah

chumbler Fri 07-Aug-15 02:49:12

have you asked your hv about this? do you bf or ff? I don't think baby should be pooing that oftenconfused

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Fri 07-Aug-15 04:17:25

I disagree with chumbler, actually... I think (for an ebf baby, anyway... Those are the ones I have experience of!) it can be normal to poo that often at first. My 7wo certainly is!

It does become less frequent, op, as they get older. I'd also say that I'm on dc2 and I'm not changing every nappy immediately that it's dirty, or we'd be using one every hour. There will be those who think that's tantamount to child abuse, though..

purplemurple1 Fri 07-Aug-15 05:03:17

I mostly ff and the pooing and eating slowed down between at 6 to 8 weeks for my two kids.
Bf did make them both poo more though.

WishUponAStar88 Fri 07-Aug-15 05:10:49

It is normal for ebf babies to go anything from every feed to every few days.

scrivette Fri 07-Aug-15 06:24:56

My almost 4 week old ebf baby poos pretty much after every feed, just a small amount. HV says completely normal - am hoping it will slow down soon as I feel I am constantly changing and buying nappies!

Ilovecrapcrafts Fri 07-Aug-15 08:10:35

I'm afraid my ebf did poo after every Feed And at 14 weeks still dirties 6/7 times a day (later they turn into explodapoos, sob) luckily she doesn't poo overnight so I don't have to get up to change her.

It's normal and in fact a good sign. Normally ff babies will be a little more blocked up but not unusual at all With BF babies. Just keep an eye that colour and constancy are fine.

sarah00001 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:00:17

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have mentioned that I both breast feed and formula feed my baby, since I don't produce enough milk for her. I've noticed that she poos after each feed regardless of whether its breast milk or formula.

helly29 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:03:16

My son was like this - did little bits every 5-10 mins day and night until about 9 weeks, I think we only had about 5 nappies that were only wet before then! It was amazing when I could stop doing nappies at night! Unfortunately as we couldn't keep up with dirty nappies he did suffer from nappy rash a lot - is recommend some nappy free time every day of you can manage it - it helps a lot!

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now