Talk

Advanced search

Same room?

(17 Posts)
MissTwister Thu 06-Aug-15 08:47:34

Hello all, I'm a bit confused. The NHS website says that for 6 months I am to be in the same room as baby when she's asleep both 'night and day.' Now if I am trying to put her down at 7-8ish at night to establish a sleep routine how is this possible? I'd have to sit in silence in my bedroom till I went to bed!!

What does everyone else do/ think?

applecore0317 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:56:12

It's down to personal preference, my two month old DD will be going into her nursery at four months old and when she sleeps in our room for a few hours before we go tp bed some nights we pop the monitor on. It's what you feel comfortably with that is important and doing things when you feel ready.

PuppyMummy Thu 06-Aug-15 09:00:36

we didn't have a bedtime 'routine' until ds was about 4 months. until then he slept in the lounge with us until we went to bed.

when we started 'putting him to bed' we had a video monitor and left the door open so he could hear the household noises.

during the day he has always napped in the car or in his pram which I would leave in the hall if we were in. Before he could roll he would nap on the sofa and if he did this I would always sit with him (so he couldn't turn and suffocate himself).

PuppyMummy Thu 06-Aug-15 09:01:36

forgot to add. he slept in our room until he was 5.5 months.

NickyEds Thu 06-Aug-15 12:04:16

With ds we quietly tip toed around him in his moses basket down stairs until he was 5.5 months then started putting him to bed. DD is only 2 weeks old but this time as soon as she's in any kind of routine (bad we're about a million miles away!)she'll be going up to our room with a monitor if she can't sleep soundly with us carrying on as normal around her downstairs. There's no way I'd sit in a dark room alone with her all evening.

youngestisapyscho Thu 06-Aug-15 12:08:30

Both mine were put in their crib/cot and left to sleep in room on their own. At night they were in my room, during day they were in my room, but I was not with them. In own rooms by 3/4 months.

BlueThursday Thu 06-Aug-15 12:23:37

DD has once slept during the day not in someone's arms (and snoozing on me now).

She regularly went to sleep at about 7pm from about 6 weeks so I used that time to get things done eg a bit of cleaning or washing my hair so she had to be alone for a few hours before I went to bed

She's now 7 months and has been in her own room for a month

monkey2014 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:50:42

I go to bed when the baby does as that's the only bit of sleep I'm 'guaranteed' to get. He's usually asleep by 8pm but we're up so much in the night I'm knackered by then anyway smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 06-Aug-15 16:56:36

We used to just leave the light at one end of the living room (we've got one of those ex lounge+dining room knocked through into one so quite long and thin) off and potter around downstairs as normal... until they outgrew the moses basket then it was up to bed in their cot in our room with us checking in on them constantly (although I was so knackered that I was quite often in bed not long after the baby!)

DanyStormborn Thu 06-Aug-15 17:16:04

We have always put our five month old daughter in a Moses basket in the lounge when she goes to sleep at 7pm. We aren't quiet, she sleeps through the noise and light. Then I carry her upstairs at my bedtime, change her nappy, feed her and put her in her crib by my bed.

Fluffy24 Thu 06-Aug-15 17:21:26

Always put DS to bed in our bedroom at 6-7pm depending on how tired he was, he'd be on his own but with baby camera, but for the first few months we weren't long behind him and were regularly in bed by 9pm!

NerrSnerr Thu 06-Aug-15 17:24:19

Our daughter just stayed with us until we went to bed. She slept through any light and noise.

lemoncordial Thu 06-Aug-15 20:59:17

Around 4 months when I started to try to establish a bedtime I would leave her up sleep in her cot in our room for any sleep after 8pm.

I didn't need a baby monitor as we live in a small flat.

Chococroc Fri 07-Aug-15 07:58:11

I go to bed at 8 with DS (4 months) he's still not a great sleeper so I make the most of getting some sleep early. The plan is to continue with this until he moves into his own room around 6 months.

EllieQ Fri 07-Aug-15 14:03:27

At eight weeks we started a bedtime routine and putting DD upstairs to sleep - she goes up around 7.30 and is usually asleep between 8 and 8.30. Before that we had a second Moses basket downstairs and she slept in that until we went to bed, but she started getting disturbed by the noise of us talking/ the tv.

We have a monitor and leave the door open, and I normally go to bed around 10.30 so she only has a couple of hours asleep on her own. One of us checks on her after about an hour.

I've seen a couple of other threads about this issue and the consensus is that the guidelines aren't really practical and most people don't follow this part! There was also a discussion about whether it was more likely to happen with smartphones/ tablets as you can entertain yourself/ watch something without needing the main light on.

It's really helped me to have that time to myself between her going to bed and me going to bed - I feel a bit more like myself smile

MissTwister Fri 07-Aug-15 14:13:22

Thanks all for your responses

EllieQ - exactly otherwise I am 24/7 baby mode which is exhausting!

Roseybee10 Fri 07-Aug-15 20:44:35

We started putting dd to bed in our room at around 8 weeks when she started needing to go to sleep earlier and she wasn't settling in the living room and getting hysterical from overtiredness.
We have a sensor monitor and check her every half an hour.
It's the only time hubby and I get together and its only for an hour and half at most. We need that time to just decompress and chat and watch TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now