Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your 8yr old have an Xbox in these circumstances?

(14 Posts)
namelessposter Wed 05-Aug-15 19:31:55

He's 7, August born, and 8th birthday coming up. My parents have just told me they've bought him a 2nd hand Xbox (BIL is upgrading, they bought his).

DH and I have discussed Xboxes between us previously and decided no, because he's already obsessed with the PC and his iPad, has no ability to self regulate (we have to hide devices from him to stop him getting up at 5am to play), and he has hypotonia - a muscle tone condition (plus some aspergers type social conditions) which means we really want him doing some active/social play each day, and he is resistant. He prob has 3hrs+ screen time each day already.
He really wants an Xbox. My parents have already told him they're getting him one. They looked hurt when I said I'd have to discuss with DH. We've spoken and we both still think no. Am I being mean? Do all other 8yr olds have them?

Seriouslyffs Wed 05-Aug-15 19:35:17

Dreadful idea. Too young and particularly with his muscle tone condition. Tell your parents to butt out if they won't listen sensibly.

Seriouslyffs Wed 05-Aug-15 19:35:56

And no you're not being mean at all!

starlight2007 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:37:40

My 8 year old has told me everyone in the whole world has one except him. It is not true but many do.

My son has DS.. I bought him a basic kindle for his birthday as he has no self regulation but seems to manage that fine with Kindle..

I am sure one day he will have an x box however it won't be any time soon

LuckyCornish13 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:41:18

No, I wouldn't want him to have it either OP. I don't think you're being mean at all. But it seems like you've been backed into a corner as your parents have already told him, so you'll end up looking like the bad guy, that's not fair to you or DH

hotlikeme Wed 05-Aug-15 19:43:59

How about compromising by keeping it at your parents house so he can only use it when he is there?

PolterGoose Wed 05-Aug-15 19:46:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

namelessposter Wed 05-Aug-15 19:53:38

Polter, what age did he start using the Xbox? Can he self regulate, or is it a source of arguments? I completely agree that minecraft gives good exercise to his technically-wired brain, but I think it's too much at the moment, out of balance with other things.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Aug-15 19:58:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WishITookLifeSeriously Wed 05-Aug-15 20:00:30

My ds is 8, August born and 9 in a few weeks. He got an Xbox for his birthday last year and he also has Aspergers and adhd. I was worried as you hear many stories of arguments and meltdowns over consoles but I must say as long as he is given enough notice of when he has to come off or what time he will be allowed on it, it has been great. As Polter says Minecraft is amazing and it has also helped with his social skills and earned him some friends to play with in the playground because he has something to talk about that the other boys are interested in and he's bloody good at it!

VolumniaDedlock Wed 05-Aug-15 20:05:28

we have a console (not X box) which we bought for dd1's birthday. In many ways it's easier to regulate her use of the console rather than a tablet/ipod/DS which she can disappear with into her bedroom.

The games console is hooked up to the TV in the sitting room, and so not only is it really easy to see and hear what she's up to, but she has to take turns with the rest of us wanting to watch programmes or DVDs. WE count console and TV time as either/or, so if she or dd2 have already had loads of TV it doesn't go on.

namelessposter Wed 05-Aug-15 20:10:43

We have a TV in the playroom. But it is for shared use with DD1 (5) and DS1 is so obsessed with gaming that I know it would be endless rows about using it for Xbox rather than Frozen or Netflix cartoons. So that'd me one more thing for me to umpire hmm or get another TV. Just not feeling very happy about it either way..

notascooby007 Wed 05-Aug-15 20:26:00

My ds is 8 he has a ps3 I only buy age appropriate games like fifa minecraft etc and he doesn't go online to play anything. Most boys in his class have a ps3 or xbox

Eva50 Wed 05-Aug-15 23:14:22

Ds3 (just turned 9) has an x-box. Ii was a hand me down from his brother. I don't really limit screen time as he self Regulates. Some days he plays quite a bit, other days not at all. I think keeping it at your parents could be a good compromise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now