Talk

Advanced search

Hungry baby milk.. Yes or no?

(11 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:46:22

My baby girl is 2 weeks old and on SMA gold. She is constantly hungry and about 45 minutes ago she had about 3.5floz of milk and about 10 minutes ago had another 2 ounces.. She never seems satisfied.

My mums suggested putting her on hungr baby milk if she's still really hungry in a week or two (hoping this might be just a growth spurt).

I've heard that it can cause constipation. But has anyone successfully used a Hungry milk for their babies??

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 30-Jul-15 17:50:19

I wouldn't use it myself, as it just fills them up rather than any benefits that I can tell. Is her weight on track? They do feed a lot in the early weeks, it's totally normal. My DS was born small at 6lbs and was a milk maniac but he was just catching up

seaoflove Thu 30-Jul-15 17:50:21

If she wants milk, just give it to her smile

I wouldn't touch hungry baby milk with a bargepole. IIRC, it's more difficult to digest than regular formula, which is why babies go longer between feeds.

Xanthius Thu 30-Jul-15 17:51:09

I tried cow and gate hungry baby but I had to stop as it gave her the worst nappies ever, it was disturbing her sleep as she was waking up to poo also gave her really bad wind. All in all I am not a fan of it.

BeansInBoots Thu 30-Jul-15 17:53:37

Just give her more normal formula, hungry baby stuff isnt good for their bodies, its just harder for them to digest instead of actually filling them up.
Dd used to have loads if milk as a baby, like 9oz bottles every couple of hours by 4-5 months, hv never suggested hungry milk..

My youngest is 11 weeks old now and we moved him onto hungry baby milk at 3 weeks. We made the decision to do it because he was constantly feeding and not bringing any milk back up but his poos had gone from the yellow mustard consistency to being just water and what looked like the odd few bird seeds in his nappies, after a week of 30 mins to hourly feeds and he had been struggling to gain weight. I spoke to hv first to let her know what we had decided and why and she was happy to trust my judgement.
He was weaned from the first milk onto the hungry baby milk and it took nearly a week to do it. We did 1 bottle of hungry baby then the next 3 bottles were the first milk for the first day and then the next was 2 bottles hungry baby 2 bottles first. Third day 3 bottles hungry baby and 1 bottle first, then fourth day was 4 hungry baby to 1 to first stage until he was taking 6 bottles of hungry baby in 24 hours.
He hasn't suffered from constipation and is now happy in a sort of feeding routine. We still have the odd day where he takes more milk then others but he's happy and is now putting on weight at a steady weight.

GetTheFudgeOutOfRodge Thu 30-Jul-15 18:22:32

Personally I'd try feeding a larger quantity of regular formula rather than the hungry baby one but speak to your HV if you're concerned.

How much does she drink over the course of 24 hours?

xxxbingbunnyxxx Fri 31-Jul-15 21:07:31

Ds went into hungry milk around 12 weeks, slowly at first, maybe one bottle a day. We introduced it gradually so no issue with constipation. Much happier and more content, and at 2 still wants to eat everything in sight!

laura0007 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:18:37

noooo don't use hungry baby milk. My friend is a HV and totally advises against it especially at 2 weeks old. It's more for babies who are nearer weaning age and milk isn't filling them. Even then I didn't use it with my DS I just added another bottle of normal formula in instead

beth1987 Sat 01-Aug-15 20:58:56

A HV said hungry milk has baby rice in to fill them up

ApocalypseThen Sun 02-Aug-15 23:34:42

I can't find rice among the ingredients in aptimil hungry baby. We use this a few times a week when our ten week old is particularly hungry. I don't think it really helps her much, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now