Talk

Advanced search

Constant nursing

(19 Posts)
MissTwister Thu 30-Jul-15 17:32:12

I've posted before about my newborn feeding a lot but feel it's reached epic proportions. At just over 3 weeks if she's at all awake she just wants to be on the breast. It's not every hour or so, it's literally every minute she's awake.

I feed her for a good long time until she decides to stop but then the second I move her away from the breast she's got her hands in her mouth crying for more. Most of the time when I put her back on the breast repeatedly she doesn't even really suck and just lets it dribble down her face. But again as soon as I put my breast away she's very unhappy!

She really can't be hungry - and she put on 11oz last week so she is definitely getting enough milk.

I don't really know what to do as for a large portion of the afternoon / evening we just have this feeding frenzy. Yesterday it was 4pm - 10pm. My nipples are getting sore and as much as I love feeding her I can't be doing it for 6 or more hours constantly!

Any tips?

Lunastarfish Thu 30-Jul-15 17:36:48

No tips I'm afraid but I have a 2 week old and she is acting the same - I'm assuming it's just normal and it will pass (I hope).

The only break I really get is going for a walk. The pushchair sends her to sleep.

mumofboyo Thu 30-Jul-15 19:17:41

forgive me if this is a stupid answer because I ff both mine (really struggled with the bf) so know nothing about it; but is this the time where they're constantly sucking I order to try and build up your supply? I read in here that it should even out by 4-6 weeks or so and that in the meantime the only thing you can do is settle in and let it happen. I hate using what seems to be the stock answer on here but could you get a sling so that you can still do other things whilst your baby is feeding/suckling? As for the sore nips, would something like lanisoh or even nipple shields work?
Failing that, if the baby is always wanting to suckle but not feed, would a dummy be an option for you?
Whatever the answer is, and I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will come along soon, I hope your situation doesn't last too long; and congratulations on your new baby thanks

monkey2014 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:18:55

my little boy did this at 3 weeks and 8 weeks, exactly the same hours as you. . I found it helped to break it up a bit by timing nappy changes / getting ready for bed / little bit of play or looking at something peaceful to give nipples a quick rest!

MissTwister Thu 30-Jul-15 19:20:56

Thanks for the replies.

I think my milk is quite established but it could be the reason I guess. Thing is she doesn't actually suck all that much - just likes it in her mouth!!

I have ordered a sling but not sure I can BF with it as have very large boobs so not sure about that logistically.

Dummy - I am trying to introduce one but she just will not entertain it!!

And yes walks help - just went on one and now she's fast asleep....

mumofboyo Thu 30-Jul-15 19:37:22

Re. the dummy - dd wanted to suck [at the bottle] all the time, which is obviously not great, so we tried introducing a dummy at around 3 weeks. She hated those flat ones and would spit them straight out; instead she preferred those Tommee Tippee cherry tipped ones with the big, bulbous ends. If you want to use the dummy, I'd suggest trying different styles and shapes before giving up.

daisychain1991 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:39:59

My DD did this. Have you read about cluster feeding? Have you also tried lying down and feeding on your side. Even if you don't sleep at least you are resting.
All I can say is that even though it feels like an endless cycle of feeding it does get easier. My DD is now 18weeks and feeds every 2ish hours in the day and goes 4hrs in the night.

daisychain1991 Thu 30-Jul-15 19:41:45

Oh I also second trying different dummies. The only ones DD would take and keep in was closer to nature ones. Which I think are Tommy Tipee.

Nonnainglese Thu 30-Jul-15 19:45:18

My DD did this, I became adept at doing housework/ cooking etc with her firmly attracted to me hmm although it made me feel like a milch cow...... It does get better but I recall feeling that she would never live independently of me, she flatly rejected a dummy too.
BF can take weeks to establish so nothing unusual in this at all.

JasperDamerel Thu 30-Jul-15 19:49:51

The cluster feeding usually finishes by 6 weeks, (but can reemerge when the baby gets ill). I remember those days, when even taking the baby off the boob for a nappy change caused wailing.

My DD was like this for about 4 weeks (although not gaining well) but now at 15 weeks is going 3-4 hours in the day and 6+ at night. It does get better!

Nottalotta Sat 01-Aug-15 14:48:13

I was just reading on another post about people waking their babies to feed them and thinking WTAF?!?! DS is 8 says old and doesn't stop feeding. He spends hours at a time, with just a few minutes break here and there. Every 20 - 30 minutes the other night for 12 hours so i know where you are coming from.....

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Sat 01-Aug-15 16:44:25

This is totally normal - as pp said, it's called cluster feeding and my dd1 did it until about 8/9weeks. Dd2 is now 5 weeks and we're still in the throes of it. It's hard but it will pass. Don't think or worry about doing anything else, just eat and drink plenty and rest when you can. Feeding lying down is a god-send for this.

dannydyerismydad Sat 01-Aug-15 16:53:55

I remember DS doing this at 3 weeks. It really is relentless (and coincided beautifully with DH returning to work with me trapped under a baby).

Stick with it. It passes. Your baby's tummy is still tiny, but growing a little each day. She's teaching your body how much milk to make in time for get getting bigger.

MissTwister Sat 01-Aug-15 19:22:43

Thanks all

Unfortunately I can't BF lying down because of massive boobs. In fact whatever position seems to be a bit uncomfortable!

Is it normal for her to ask to feed a lot but then fall asleep within 2-3 minutes only to wake 5 minutes later and ask to feed again!?

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Sat 01-Aug-15 20:59:09

Yes! Remember how little she is and some babies find feeding exhausting and there's something in breast milk that makes them go to sleep. You try tickling her feet or ears to keep her awake to feed for longer.

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Sat 01-Aug-15 21:01:24

So many grammatical errors and missing words in that message. That is why you should use preview. Sorry!

MissTwister Sat 01-Aug-15 21:11:26

She's the most un-ticklish baby in the world!

Nottalotta Sat 01-Aug-15 21:25:16

DS does the falling asleep on the job too. I wasn't sure whether to disturb him or not but have taken to waving his hand, or stroking his cheek to set him off again. Or sometimes just leaning away so nipple starts to slide out of his mouth will start him sucking again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now