Talk

Advanced search

Bike seat recommendations for baby/toddler

(10 Posts)
basilflower Thu 30-Jul-15 16:50:13

Ds will be 1 soon, so thinking about birthday presents the grandparents can get for him.

One idea is a seat for the bike for him to sit in, as dh and I enjoy cycling.

What type of bike seat do you have, and do you recommend it? Positioned in front of you or behind you? What age did your dc enjoy being in a bike seat?

Thank you!

museumum Thu 30-Jul-15 16:53:20

I used a front mounted wee-ride from about 9mo for about 6mo then a rear mounted co-pilot which he's still in now at 2. He loves it. We cycle to nursery and back.
I didn't love the weeride as I'm short and there wasn't enough space in front on my bike. But I do love the copilot.

Meerka Thu 30-Jul-15 17:45:00

Living in the NL, almost all children go in a bike seat from as soon as they can sit up enough. Ours both went in the bike seat from 9 months (admittedly there are always cycle pathways in the NL). The children both loved leaning forwards, resting their little hands on the handlebars and smiling serenely at the world, which often smiled back.

Dutch advice (in english) on cycling with a baby

Essentially for tinies:
- front mounted
- secure straps
- footrests, optionally also with straps
- windshield. Brilliant if it rains, keeps a surprising amount off.

That article shows some of the options.

At around 3 or 4 the older one was transferred to the seat behind me. Not sure where you can get seats in the UK though, sorry.

basilflower Thu 30-Jul-15 20:15:03

Thanks both I will look into those and the article. smile

KatyN Fri 31-Jul-15 10:19:41

My husband USA keen rider and we bought a wee ride. He found it hard as he had to cycle with his knees out rather than parallel to the bike
He then tried a co pilot for a bit and they both liked it, but after awhile my son wanted a better view than daddy's back and we tend I walk now

BocaDeTrucha Fri 31-Jul-15 11:02:50

Definitely front mounted. We use a romer one (same make as the car seats) but it's quite old as been passed from cousin to cousin. DS loves it, always asks to wear his helmet and is very comfy. I would never put a very small child rear mounted as there is no protection at all if you fall off, you can't see when they fall asleep, you can't maintain any conversation with them and they can't see as much.

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 31-Jul-15 21:30:08

We have a Yepp mini which goes on the front of the bike. It's fab and dh uses it loads for nursery runs. Only downside is that you have to cycle slightly knees out if you're on the smaller side. Great quality seat.

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 31-Jul-15 21:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WLondonMum Fri 31-Jul-15 21:34:10

The Weeride is brilliant. My son who is quite a big 4.5 can still fit in it (just!).

scandichick Sat 01-Aug-15 12:01:21

Going against the grain here, but we've gone for backmounted (think that's advised in Denmark, for example, so as with many things best practice changes with the country...). Have one Polisport and one Hamax, both have worked fine from about 10 months. DD loves going on the bike and seems to be happy with the limited view, although we've done nursery runs rather than long rides.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now