Talk

Advanced search

Rolling onto tummy in cot

(19 Posts)
hereharehere33 Wed 29-Jul-15 20:36:08

I've been trying to get my 3mth old to sleep in his cot (we have 'accidentally' been co-sleeping on and off). He keeps rolling onto his tummy and falls asleep like that. If I turn him back over he wakes everytime. Its stressing me out but I'm keen to get him to stay in his cot as don't want to co-sleep long term. Any advise?

chiruri Wed 29-Jul-15 20:38:42

The official advice is that you should always put them to sleep on their backs, but if they roll over then you don't need to roll them back. So try not to worry.
Maybe someone who knows more can give you more information.

LadyLuck81 Wed 29-Jul-15 20:44:39

If he can roll himself over and back then if leave him. Make sure there aren't toys in his cot or thick blankets etc if you're concerned. Do you use a grobag?

Mine has slept on his front from the second he could roll over. Like you moving him wasn't an option.

laurielou86 Thu 30-Jul-15 08:11:32

My little one is 5months and sleeps on her side now, she is happy enough and if we put her on her back she just rolls onto her side again!

I was a bit worried because she can roll back to front but then gets stuck and face plants into the mattress and cries. She can't roll front to back yet. Am nervous her being in the cot. She doesn't seem to realise she just needs to turn head to side when on her front so she can breathe !?!
Any ideas?
X

switswoo81 Thu 30-Jul-15 08:31:45

A friend told me you can buy a special set from aerosleep.com if you are very worried. My six months old is also on her tummy no matter what I do.

As an aside she has hit her head off cot a few times and got her hand stuck in bars saw special mesh bumpers online would these be safe does anyone know?

My 3 month old does exactly the same. I didn't like it to stay with but after a couple of weeks I'm used to it. I'm a front sleeper too so I understand why she wants to!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 30-Jul-15 14:29:24

Once they find a position they like it's not easy persuading them to sleep otherwise.
Having been advised be mindful of SIDS and pay super special attention to sleeping positions up to 6 months, I found at 3-4 months my two did the same when they could roll over. Some people suggested I roll up a cellular blanket and put it alongside when I put them down to sleep.

To the poster worried about her baby and the cot bars, I think you can get some padding with Velcro to go round individual cot bars?

Wisteria1979 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:32:54

Swits- I have the mesh stuff with Velcro as dc1 was a head bumper/foot sticker outer but he enjoyed pulling it down so not much use as the Velcro is not really strong enough. But the mesh is very breathable so from a SIDS point I think ok.

switswoo81 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:04:09

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look around again. This morning woke up with one arm and one leg out of cot....

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jul-15 15:09:42

It's fine. Once they can roll you don't need to worry about it any more. Of course still avoid obvious suffocation risks.

hereharehere33 Thu 30-Jul-15 18:36:28

Thanks everyone, he is in a bag but is still mobile. He must just like being on his tummy.

I had some Velcro side things with DS1. I need to hunt around from them as they were breathable and stopped arms and legs getting stuck in the bars.

Nottalotta Sat 01-Aug-15 17:25:02

I am worried about sleeping position with my 8 day old baby. He rolls onto his side every time i put him down. Thinking of getting a sleepyhead but just seen that theybdont meet sids guidelines!

purplemurple1 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:33:55

My dc1 slept on his side from birth and if I put him on his back he just rolled back even if he ws already asleep. I was advised to leave him too it just make sure there are no suffocation risks like loose blankets, toys in the cot.

ijustwannadance Sat 01-Aug-15 17:53:01

My dd did this from a few weeks old and i gave up turning her back over but she was a big, weirdly strong baby who could lift her head. She also hated being covered. Screamed blue murder when I tried a sleepbag as she couldnt kick it off! I had the airwrap bumpers all round cot and they were fine. The mesh is holely so cant suffocate if against them.
Guidelines are great but try explaining them to a baby!

purplemurple1 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:02:50

Mine was similar to ijust born with head control rolling at a few weeks and hated clothing.

Nottalotta Sat 01-Aug-15 19:05:29

Yes DS is big and strong too. re bedding, what about the Moses basket cover? better without that? Although i imagine the wicker being a bit harsh.

MissTwister Sat 01-Aug-15 19:32:32

Nottalotta - ours did the same from 3 days old and she smooshed her face into corner of crib which worried me.

We got a sleepyhead and it has stopped it as she now just sleeps peacefully on back. I worried about the SIDS guidelines but everyone told me it was safe and it got such rave reviews everywhere and has been around a good few years. Seeing it in use it seems safe to me as she doesn't move from her back.

To be honest I am not sure how it would be ever officially be declared safe as there's a ban on anything that's not a plain mattress but does that mean it's not safe?

purplemurple1 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:32:57

Ours was in a wooden crib with no padding and was fine.

purplemurple1 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:33:45

I mean solid wood sides. I'd not use the cover myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now