Talk

Advanced search

Biting - am I handling this right?

(8 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 29-Jul-15 07:27:28

DD is 1, and she has just started biting. I know she doesn't understand punishment yet, but I don't want this to become OK.
When she bites I say ow, as anyone would when pain is inflicted! I tell her gently, but firmly "we don't bite" and put her down a bit away from me.
When she comes back to me I give her a cuddle and carry on as normal.
Will she eventually learn that way? Do I need to be tougher? Or just ignore it completely?

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 29-Jul-15 18:50:48

Anyone?

Booboostwo Wed 29-Jul-15 19:17:48

Sounds very appropriate response for her age. I don't think being tougher with a one year old is fair, she would not understand. There is a good chance that she will learn not to bite with your approach and it's better than doing nothing.

Littlef00t Wed 29-Jul-15 19:27:29

Yep, and if she bites others you take her away from the fun for a little while.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 29-Jul-15 20:36:02

Thanks. I did think maybe I should be ignoring it completely as she's so young, but then when do you introduce the idea it's suddenly not OK? I will keep doing what I'm doing. She has yet to bite anyone but me!

Highlove Thu 30-Jul-15 08:22:34

Interesting. My DD has been doing this for months (she's 17mo) and I've been doing as you do. Which unfortunately doesn't seem to make a difference, but I also think she's a bit little for 'punishment'. She only does it to me and more so when tired and/or over-excited, though occasionally also now when she's cross. Looking forward to this phase (and the hitting and hair pulling - she sounds a delight, doesn't she grin) passing.

Joneseygirl77 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:55:44

Yep we've got this too with my 15.5mo DD. It only happens in the evening before bedtime when she's tired and excitable. Trying all of the above but she just thinks it's a game and does it more shock I have also bought a book called Teeth are not for biting but hoping it's a phase that she'll grow out of. It's definitely worse at the moment as her canines are cutting.

BearsRuleBunniesDrool Thu 30-Jul-15 21:30:50

My 21month old DD went through a biting phase too. Only seemed to bite me for some reason. I did the same, put her down or hand her to someone else if she bite. It took a little bit of time but she did stop in the end. She's not even started doing it again with recent teething, so I'm hoping that's it now no more biting. I live in hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now