Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning at 9 months?

(12 Posts)
Scarlottio1 Mon 27-Jul-15 23:21:21

Has anyone weaned their baby at 9 months at night? It feels like my DS is having a growth spurt/teething so is feeding on me ALOT through the night! I want to send my husband in now to rock him to sleep as I've gone back to work but not sure it's the right time and if he actually is hungry? Sorry long post!

m33r Tue 28-Jul-15 03:13:30

Following! My LB is 19 weeks and other than a spell from 8-midnight, is up every two hours and every hour from 4/5am. I'm not back at work but would love a stretch of sleep!

Scotinoz Tue 28-Jul-15 03:46:29

We did around seven months. It's common I'm my area to get bubs onto a dream feed and nothing overnight when they hit six months or double their birth weight. Takes a few nights, bit of rocking, sending husband in etc but it's do-able

PuppyMummy Tue 28-Jul-15 08:35:14

I didn't night wean until 10.5 months and ds was eating really well. I wanted to be sure he wasn't hungry and was only waking through habit.
it worked well and he went down to one feed by about 5 days and after 2 weeks was sleeping through.

you need to wait until you feel comfortable to do it and are sure that baby is eating plenty in the day.

I wouldn't have considered it at 6 months, ds still fed every 3 hours and that point. different things work for different babies.

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 08:48:00

I found night feeds reduced then naturally ... except for teething.
TBH even night weaned babies wake when teething so it won't prevent that.

BoutrosBoutros Tue 28-Jul-15 08:51:08

We did it at 9 months. Had just had enough. He was never a great eater and I don't think he would have been if he'd still been topping up all night. Took a few nights but was nowhere near as bad as we expected. The only downside was that he slept through but woke about 5.30 for the next 9 months, which is better but not ideal!!! Good luck!

Scarlottio1 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:02:02

Thank you all! Yes I think mine won't eat loads of solids during the day because he's feeding for ages at night! I'm going to send DH in and see what happens!

MioNome Wed 29-Jul-15 16:38:39

DS2 is 8.5mo and I'm considering it over next month or so. My issue is slightly different as he refuses all bfeeds during day - eats solids v well and just too distracted for boob - so he gets him milk quota at bedtime and at night. Am worried stopping milk at night will mean he simply won't be getting enough milk.

Latium123 Wed 29-Jul-15 19:44:26

I was just about to consider strategies to night wean my DD who just turned 10 mo but this week she has started sleeping through herself. I think it is because she has really started to eat well in the last couple of weeks and isn't feeling hungry through the night anymore.

Latium123 Wed 29-Jul-15 19:51:54

The strategies we were going to try were offering water instead of milk and also trying to break the sleep association with BFing (so, giving baby last feed of the day in more wakeful situation, downstairs with lights on instead of in room in the dark so they don't fall asleep on the boob then try and pop them down to sleep. Apparently, this means they are less likely to wake in the night so we were going to give it a try but as I say, we were lucky and didn;t have to). Good luck.

Scarlottio1 Wed 29-Jul-15 23:49:39

Thank you for advice,Mionome this is my worry too as I think my DS drinks less milk now during the day espeacially when I'm not around but everyone says start trying to drop feeds/fill up on yoghurt etc more but it seems to coincide with him feeding more at night!? I also feed him to sleep at his bed time Latium123 so I'm trying to change this but no luck so far.

wotamidoing Thu 30-Jul-15 19:29:28

I nightweaned ds1 at about 8.5 months. I was exhausted and pretty sure that he wasn't having proper feeds, just wanted to suckle back to sleep. It was a fairly hellish week but did reduce night waking (not eliminate), but at least we could share it overnight. Considering doing the same with ds2, nearly 9 months, but I'm a bit more hesitant as I think some of the night feeds are genuine feeds. Think he's going to have to lump it though - I'm broken!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now