Talk

Advanced search

11 mo not listening

(5 Posts)
CrumpetHead Sun 26-Jul-15 07:15:51

My 11 month old DS listens to everybody EXCEPT ME! sad he's at that age where he's in to everything and if anyone tells him "no", "leave it", "stop it" he stops straight away, but not for me! If I tell him no he just looks at me then carries on what he's doing! I'm a SAHP so his main carer and 4 and a half months pregnant and it's exhausting getting up and down all day long to move him away from something. What can I do? I've tried raising my voice, changing my tone, being more authoritative, he just doesn't care! He even screams back at me blush he's too young to understand me trying to tell him anything and I just want to sit down for more than 30 seconds at a time sad

Booboostwo Sun 26-Jul-15 08:28:51

Are you sure he listens to other people because my 10mo doesn't listen to anyone. I try to deal with it by reducing potential problems (de cluttering, baby proofing), having his toys spread out in three areas around the room and using distraction. I don't think there is any harm in saying "Don't do this as you will get hurt" but I wouldn't expect them to understand it at this age. Screaming might be counter productive although I can appreciate the temptation and I am not 4 months pregnant!

afreshstartplease Sun 26-Jul-15 08:30:04

11 months is only tiny

FuckitFay Sun 26-Jul-15 08:33:36

I think you are expecting way too much from an 11 month old! He is meant to explore everything. He feels safe and happy with you so is happy to ignore the "nos" whereas aomeone else saying no in that time of voice might frighten him. Please don't interpret that as you needing to sound more frightening! An 11 month is totally incapable of understanding why you want him to stop is because you are trying to do something dangerous. At this age you do have to be up after them all the time and you are utterly unrealistic for expecting to sit down! Much as you need to! Sympathy as it's pretty hard but it's like this until about age 2 I think. You need to make sure he can only access safe stuff, get cupboard locks, put away breakable and then let him have free rein. You will be absolutely frustrated beyond belief within days if you try and rely on telling him to stop in order to make things safe.

NoMontagues Sun 26-Jul-15 08:43:15

Hi crumpet . I have an 11 month old and I'm nearly 14 weeks pg so in a similar boat to you.

We took anything movable including the coffee table (sharp corners) out of the sitting room and covered up the hearth with cushions, so the sittingroom is basically a safe zone now- obviously I don't leave him in there but I can sit on the sofa while he plays beside me on the floor.

The day basically consists of him being either in his highchair in the kitchen eating, in his cot napping, in his buggy out and about, or in the sittingroom playing in the floor. I try not to give him a chance to go near anything that would be unsafe.

I did say "no" to him the other day when he was spitting out his porridge and he hadn't a clue what I meant, he thought it was funny. So we're just doing finger foods for the time being! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now