Talk

Advanced search

Refusing to drink after surgery

(8 Posts)
Alibongo33 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:27:35

My 2 year old ds is day 10 post surgery for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. He was in a lot of pain after and had a small bleed and minor infection at the wound site. He is having antibiotics but thankfully not requiring painkillers anymore.
He is now sleeping normally, playing, eating etc. But he WON'T drink , really won't drink. He has been in hospital for two days on a drip and now discharged.
I have tried every drink,every cup, straws, syringe. He goes crackers if a drink comes near him. Any that does get into his mouth he spits out.

Any help please,

mineofuselessinformation Sat 25-Jul-15 17:36:54

Ice lollies? Would be soothing too.

purplemurple1 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:37:02

Are Tiptops, ice lols any good for him?

Wet food like watermelon, jelly.

Did the Drs not give you any advice?

Alibongo33 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:48:55

The Drs just said persevere! I am giving him wet food which he is eating. He is producing a lot less wee but because he is weeing a tiny bit they said he could be discharged as it was enough.
I am so worried about it and concerned permanent damage could be done.

purplemurple1 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:54:51

Does he take drinks in a bowl so cereal and milk and drink the milk dregs afterwards? Soup, broth with a spoon?
I'd just go with as much of that as possible and keep putting drinks out, juice, extra milk what ever was his favorite was the advice when mine had high fevers.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 09:09:56

Is he having any pain relief? Brocolli, cauliflower, melon, soup and jelly are all high in water. Could he help you to make ice lollies or a shake? Helping to make it might persuade him to try them smile

natjayne213 Sun 26-Jul-15 17:48:29

Did he have Codine for the pain relief. When my daughter had it we kept giving her a drink afterwards and it made all drinks taste disgusting and afterwards she refused to drink. Maybe the same thing.. just keep trying he will get back into a normal routine of drinking. x

5YearsTime Sun 26-Jul-15 17:51:44

Fruit pouches would have lots of fluid but he would have to suck! Ice cream?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now